Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mefhlaw2
Level 7

Roku Activation Issues

I have Roku Express and no link code displayed on TV. This happens after the software is updated. What do I do to get the link code?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku Activation Issues

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know what you are experiencing.

After your device has updated the software, you should be prompted to set the display type for your TV. After this step, you will be prompted to activate the device with the link code on screen.

For more detailed instructions on setting up your Roku Express, you can visit the support page here: https://support.roku.com/article/225735828-how-do-i-set-up-my-roku-express-.

Please keep us posted!

Thanks,
Danny
Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
ipfeen
Level 7

I just got Roku Express and have probably the same issue.

Roku connect to my Wifi fine, then updated its software without a problem. I set the screen resolution. Then Roku puts up a screen that I need to enter the link code into roku.com/link.

However, Roku fails to actually display the link code. I see the "cursor" spinning. After a few minutes, Roku says there's an error and asks me if I want to re-try. I re-tried several times but the same thing happened.

Roku also lets me reset everything. I put in my Wifi password, etc, but when I get back to the link code screen, Roku fails to display the link code again.

In short, either Roku fails to generate the link code or it is unable to display me.

Please advise.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sorry to hear about the issue you're running into. A few questions here: 

- Have you tried restarting your wireless router/modem, then going through the setup process again? 

- Have you tried connecting to a different wireless network to see if this resolves the issue and allows a link code to appear? 

- Can you provide a picture of the error that displays on screen when the link code fails to appear? 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Totaledf250
Level 7

I am having the exact same issue with a roku premier+ that I purchased today from my local Wal-Mart store. I have tried resetting the unit restarting my WiFi router, and connecting it to a neighbors wifi that is through a different isp. With no luck. I would post a picture of the issue but haven't figured a way to yet. The message reads word for word. !Activation issue. There was a problem activating. Please get a new code to try again.

Get a new code
Back
More options

It never pops up an actual code or error code of any kind
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the note here. For testing, have you tried connecting your device to a different network to attempt to set it up and link it your account, such as a mobile hotspot? (Note: We don't recommend the use of mobile hotspots for streaming, but to test setup, this would be an option you could use.) 

Please let us know if this helps clear up the issue you're seeing. 

Cheers,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
ipfeen
Level 7

I am using a mobile hotspot.

I turned off everything - hotspot and Roku - and waited a day. 

When I re-started everything, Roku was able to generate the link code.

So I'm all set now.

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos