Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mark_L_
Level 7

Roku 3400x question

I have a 3400x streaming stick that I would like to use on an older HDTV without a HDMI mhl type input. Is there anyway to adapt a 3400x to a regular HDMI input?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
tonyeq
Level 7

Re: Roku 3400x question

I got one of these from ebay (store is e*train in California): ViewHD Advanced MHL & HDMI 3x1 Auto Powered Switch

It works fine. Now I need a remote and I don't want to pay $30 for one from Roku.
0 Kudos
vnazario
Level 8

Hi:

In that regards, I think you are out of luck. None of the Roku stick models use or have IR ports so you have no choice but to buy the proper wifi or bt remote. If this was any other box type you could buy an inexpensive RCA remote with Roku code for like $9.00 but I don't think universal remotes work with any stick model. Sorry to give you bad news.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps
0 Kudos
Johny
Level 7

Bonjour,

Best would be to use a TV/Device with an mhl port. Complete TV/Device list at http://www.mhltech.org/devices.aspx.

Else, I got mine working with an 'mhl to hdmi' switch and my android smartphone with the ROku app for the remote. However, I used also a ROku 3 remote with pairing button for the initial Wifi setup.

The method: Plug your Roku stick to one of the MHL port of your switch and the switch to the TV hdmi port. Power everything. While the Roku stick is still flashing and while also it's displaying the language-setup menu on the TV, press the pairing button. It's hidden under the battery cover of the Roku3 remote. From there, you should be able to do the initial setup, including the Wifi configuration. Rest is only to setup your Roku remote app on your cell phone and Voila, enjoy the view! 

The mhl switch box are 10 or 15$. I'm not sure how much ROku3 wifi remote worth, but counting the 3400x is not the latest and greatest tech, the whole set might not worth it compared to another Roku >=3 device. Maybe you know a friend with a Roku device or a place to rent them, that's part of the challenge. Maybe use both (the 3400x stick and the Roku 3) on 2 TVs? Up to you.

0 Kudos