Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
raccelini
Level 7

Roku 3 setup

Hi guys and gals. I recently bought a Roku 3 and am having the same issue over and over again. So, I start up the roku and it asks me what language I want and I select one. Then it takes me through the wireless connection process and I enter everything it asks for. Then it tells me that it’s going to update and then restart. So it does all of that and it restarts. Meanwhile, I’m trying to link the device to my phone and it shows the loading circle and never changes. So the roku has restarted by this point and then, it takes me to a blank purple screen, stays like that for a couple seconds then it restarts again and takes me back to the language page. Am I doing something wrong here?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Tivoburkee
Level 20

Re: Roku 3 setup

I bought my Roku 3 back in March 2013 from amazon, that's a 7 year old roku you just bought? Whatever problems it has it because of age pure and simple. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 20

Re: Roku 3 setup

There were two models under the Roku 3 designation.  Model 4200 came out in 2013.  The 4230 was released two years later, with support for voice search being the only difference of which I'm aware.

My 4200 gets infrequent use in a guest room but still works.

We see lots of reports similar to  yours citing the whole gamut of Roku models.  Some people have reported success by connecting to a different wifi net (maybe at a neighbor's or a mobile phone wifi hotspot if you have this capability) and getting the Roku to complete its software download and setup.  Once working, you can update the net connection to the home net you will be using normally.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos