Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Roku 2710x stuck in update loop.

My 2710x is stuck in setup trying to down load an update. I have tried everything listed in other posts. I tried:

Hard reset player. Rebooted router. Turned off all passwords and security on the router.  Used my iPhone as a hotspot. Tried different settings on router. Tried different cables and tv plug locations. Tried different language updates. Moved router and iPhone next to roku during downloading.

nothing I tried works.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Level 18

Re: Roku 2710x stuck in update loop.

That model is ancient and obsolete.

It wont update, period.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
Level 21

Given how old it is it could just be dying.  The only thing I could suggest is to try to find a new power adapter.

0 Kudos
Level 14

@boogernose wrote:

That model is ancient and obsolete.

It wont update, period.

This is false/inaccurate - the 2710 is still supported (its an updateable model) and receives software updates (including 9.4.0-4190...)

https://developer.roku.com/docs/specs/hardware.md

It also receives (some) new apps/app updates (e.g. Disney+ and CBS AA), in addition to working older versions of other apps (e.g. NetFlix, Prime, Hulu).

The UI is perhaps a bit slow relative to newer devices, but its still perfectly usable and non-obsolete, especially with both HDMI and composite output.

0 Kudos
Level 18

@StreamerUserits an older Model stuck in an update loop.

At some point you need to buy new shoes. Especially when you can

get cheaper ones. I think its cheaper in several ways to fork over

a few bucks for a new one. That is a Model which is old and not worth any grief.

So you went out of your way to contradict me. Thank you

0 Kudos
Level 14

I corrected and informed you (and the OP, and anyone else), since you were giving out false information about model support.

That being said, update loops arent limited to the 2710 - most other models are stricken with them as well for one reason or another, but often increasingly when updating a factory fresh/factory reset device with newer versions of RokuOS and certain wireless configurations. 

Otherwise, you may very well be correct/reasonable about the cost of a newer model versus the time and hassle spent troubleshooting an older model.

However, keep in mind that the 2710 has both HDMI and composite outputs, and if the OP needs composite output the more recent composite-capable models are no longer available and have significantly high new/used sale prices (and adding an HDMI-to-composite converter to another model is feasible, but starts to get technically complex and expensive).

That being said, if the OP cant (or doesnt want to) resolve the update loop issue and wants/needs composite output, if they can find a new/used model 3910 for a reasonable price, that's their best bet (since its the last model with composite output).

0 Kudos
Level 18

I was trying to help the OP.

You continually write these diatribes that I doubt anyone is

all that interested in.  Who ya tryin to kid?

Do you not know how to answer a simple question concisely?

Its bad posting manner to go on and on and on as you do.

0 Kudos
Level 14

Giving out false information "concisely" isn't helpful.

Its "posting bad manners" to give out false information authoritatively.

0 Kudos
Level 7

I’m not quite sure how to respond to all of this. Yes I need an RCA capability. The few old still running flat screen TVs that I have running in the workshop, garage, kitchen or guest room only have RCA input. Do I throw out perfectly good TVs for a roku I will rarely use? Free tv channels ok too.  When I get to it, I hope to get this roku which recently purchased running.  My bet that it is an update issue with Roku prime. Their assumptions with what routers are out there, their operational settings are, what roku devices are running, and what present version of OS is getting updated from are the issue.  Until I can get a work around or fix, here I am.  Nothing has worked so far.

0 Kudos
Level 18

You can get RCA convertors on Amazon for about 10 bucks.

So essentially all Rokus can be RCA capable.

https://www.amazon.com/GANA-Composite-Converter-Adapter-Supporting/dp/B0769GMV9Y

You can also get a lower end Roku cheap.

They are also on ebay used but I dont recommend buying used electronics.

In my experience once a device is stuck in an update loop its dead.

Especially if youve been trying and you seem somewhat savvy.

0 Kudos