Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
didge3
Level 7

Roku 2 - Credentials for DLNA server

Hello,

I have a dedicated NAS box which also acts as a DLNA server, my Roku can see this but if I try to connect to it it shows up blank, I'm assuming this is down to it not having any credentials to login to the NAS but it never prompts for any, nor can I find anywhere to input them. Is there a solution for this?

Thanks
0 Kudos
8 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Roku 2 - Credentials for DLNA server

"didge3" wrote:
Hello,

I have a dedicated NAS box which also acts as a DLNA server, my Roku can see this but if I try to connect to it it shows up blank, I'm assuming this is down to it not having any credentials to login to the NAS but it never prompts for any, nor can I find anywhere to input them. Is there a solution for this?

Thanks

DLNA requires no credentials. It is a separate process from accessing the NAS itself. Most DLNA servers attempt to determine if the device (in this case your Roku) can play the files. If so, they appear, otherwise they're hidden. If your media isn't in a Roku supported format, you won't see anything. What model Roku do you have (the specific model number) and what sort of media do you have? Remember that just saying MP4 doesn't tell the whole story. Media is stored in a container (mkv, mp4, avi, etc.) and has video and audio codecs within that container. Roku only supports a limited number of containers and codecs. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
didge3
Level 7

Well you learn something new everyday! Didn't know that about DLNA. It has a mixture of .mp4's .avi's & .mkv's. I don't think Roku plays avi's? 
Its a Roku 4205X1. 

EDIT: Now I know its not a credential issue I checked to see if it was a NAS issue. Something called 'DMA Sharing' wasn't on, not sure what it is but it seems to have solved my problem. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"didge3" wrote:
Well you learn something new everyday! Didn't know that about DLNA. It has a mixture of .mp4's .avi's & .mkv's. I don't think Roku plays avi's? 
Its a Roku 4205X1. 

EDIT: Now I know its not a credential issue I checked to see if it was a NAS issue. Something called 'DMA Sharing' wasn't on, not sure what it is but it seems to have solved my problem. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Glad you found it, but I'll answer your questions anyway.  Smiley Very Happy   Some DLNA servers will transcode non-playable media, so the container and codecs are less important. But it takes a fair amount of computer power to transcode video, and not all NAS devices can do it. As to your media, Roku does not support the AVI container, but does support MP4 and MKV. However, the codecs inside those containers may or may not be supported. For example, MKV can contain virtually any codec, but Roku only supports MP4/H.264/MOV video and MP3/AAC/AC3 audio. I can't find any Roku with that model number. There is the 4200 (Roku 3), 4210 (Roku 2) and 4230 (Roku 3). 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Basil
Level 10

"didge3" wrote:
Its a Roku 4205X1. ...

"atc98092" wrote:
... I can't find any Roku with that model number. There is the 4200 (Roku 3), 4210 (Roku 2) and 4230 (Roku 3). 

The EU version has that model number. If you recall, the updated Roku 2 is simply a Roku 3 but with an IR remote in the box (though it does work with the WiFi Direct remote).

I do not know this, but I think the 4205 is really a 4200 with a "2" on it, and the 4210 is really a 4230 with a "2" on it. I could be wrong. I'm not sure what the actual difference between a 4205 and a 4210 is, but there do have a different model number. I thought most had the EU suffix anyway, but I've seen more X1 and X2 lately in comments across various boards.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
didge3
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
atc98092:
Glad you found it, but I'll answer your questions anyway.  Smiley Very Happy   Some DLNA servers will transcode non-playable media, so the container and codecs are less important. But it takes a fair amount of computer power to transcode video, and not all NAS devices can do it. As to your media, Roku does not support the AVI container, but does support MP4 and MKV. However, the codecs inside those containers may or may not be supported. For example, MKV can contain virtually any codec, but Roku only supports MP4/H.264/MOV video and MP3/AAC/AC3 audio. I can't find any Roku with that model number. There is the 4200 (Roku 3), 4210 (Roku 2) and 4230 (Roku 3). 

Thanks for the wealth of info. I doubt my NAS will do any transcoding, its basically a hard drive enclosure with a RAID card and some sort of ARM chip...
"Basil" wrote:
The EU version has that model number. If you recall, the updated Roku 2 is simply a Roku 3 but with an IR remote in the box (though it does work with the WiFi Direct remote).

I do not know this, but I think the 4205 is really a 4200 with a "2" on it, and the 4210 is really a 4230 with a "2" on it. I could be wrong. I'm not sure what the actual difference between a 4205 and a 4210 is, but there do have a different model number. I thought most had the EU suffix anyway, but I've seen more X1 and X2 lately in comments across various boards.

It is an EU model, specifically in the UK. It says 4205X1 on the bottom of it, uses the IR remote. I purchased it as a 'Roku 2' but I only really opted for this model as I wanted ethernet capability.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Yeah, the wiki that I use to look up model numbers only includes North America models, and the OP didn't list his location. I had a hunch it was something like a Roku 2 or 3 from that era. Anyway, glad it's working for you now. 
Dan
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

Not all DLNA servers are alike. What is the name of the DLNA server? plex? minidlna? twonky? serviio?
The different DLNA servers have different capabilities.
Even if the DLNA server thinks the Roku can play the file, RMP will exclude the file if it knows it cannot play it.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Just a guess on my part, but since it's a DLNA server that comes with the NAS, it's likely just MiniDLNA. 
Dan
0 Kudos