Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
velascop958
Level 7

Roku 1 Keeps going back to the setup screen

I have a Roku 1, I connect the device and go through the full setup (it finds my network and connects and goes through the software update) then restarts and returns to show the large Roku on the screen but it never goes to a home screen. The Roku goes away and the system goes back to the setup screen again. The system never connects to show the home screen or menu

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4\
andyross
Level 16

Re: Roku 1 Keeps going back to the setup screen

It's probably too old to properly connect to the current system. Buy a new one. It will work properly, be MUCH faster, and support all the currently available channels.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@velascop958 

Thanks for the post.

What Roku model device do you have? As @andyross mentioned, it's possible that your device is a much older Roku device and no longer functional.

However, we would be happy to see what we can do to help get you back up and running.

Please feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku device (printed on the side/back of the device) and I'll have our support team reach out directly to assist you further. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Bofly
Level 7

Hi having the same issue. The express I have is new in the box. Tried several times to activate. Factory reset no help. It loaded all the channels I want but I never get an all done at the end. HELP. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Bofly wrote:

Hi having the same issue. The express I have is new in the box. Tried several times to activate. Factory reset no help. It loaded all the channels I want but I never get an all done at the end. HELP. 

Just to clarify, you get almost through the setup and it suddenly drops you back into the initial setup screen? When you say activate, are you having a problem getting the code to work on the Roku link page? If it's the latter, you might be on a scam site, not the real Roku site. To activate/link your new device, you must go to https://my.roku.com/link to enter the code. Make sure you type the complete URL (or use what I typed), and not taking a browser suggestion of the web site. 

For newer players that get stuck during setup, there's one trick that seems to work, although it makes no sense at all. Try using an alternate Internet connection, such as a phone hotspot. Again, it doesn't make sense, but it's worked for many users. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos