Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Resolution not supported

My device just shut off after working for approximately an hour just fine. I pressed the reset button for 20 se ends to try the set up again and now all I get is "resolution not supported" on my screen. Please help

20 Replies
Level 21

Re: Resolution not supported

20 seconds isn't long enough to reset the Roku. It takes a minimum of 30 seconds, regardless of what's happening on the screen. It appears your reset attempt has gotten it stuck on a resolution setting your TV doesn't support, so a clean reset should clear it up. 

Please confirm the model number of your Roku, and the display you are connecting to. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 7

We have seen this on all four of the Roku we use - all of different vintages - and all connected to different TV and at different resolutions.

Very often there is no sound from the Roku, even following a reset.

We've had Roku devices almost since the company started - and this bug has only started to happen in about the last 6 months.

This is a systemic software bug.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Following this message - restarting the Roku leaves me with no sound - unplugging and waiting at least 30 seconds doesn't fix it.   Powering TV on and off again doesn't fix it.  The Roku DOES produce it's little music thing while the ROKU letters are dancing around - but no audio from menue clicks or any streaming channel. 

Right now, this is happening on a Roku Premier and on a Visio TV - but it happens on other Roku devices and other TV's too.

So in desperation, I try switching video and audio formats from "Auto" to other options...no effect.

What *seemed* to work this time was resetting the network connection...but that can't truly be the problem because I'm getting streaming video perfectly well.

This kind of intractible lock-up that doesn't recover even after a power cycle always seems to follow "Resolution not supported" - which is (for 100% sure) a bullshiit message because I was just watching the same TV with the same settings on the same Roku and the same network connection not 10 minutes beforehand.

0 Kudos
Level 7

hi

mode not supported

0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@nosagab 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? What are you trying to access? Can you provide a screenshot of the issue you are seeing so we can understand the issue better?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Level 8

Same issue Resolution Not Supported. Roku address this issue or I’m moving to a different system!

0 Kudos
Level 8

The ONLY thing that seems to work is turning the Vizio TV OFF/ON until the Roku accepts the settings. It took three times the last time this occurred. 

Level 7

I'm having the same issue with Roku Soundbar on a Vizio tv. I have tried with both HDMI ARC and regular HDMI. The only thing that fixes it is switching to a different input then switching back. It's very annoying and wondering if I should just return it.

0 Kudos
Level 8

It's the roku device and as far as I have seen nothing fixes it. I'd advise continue to switch inputs back and forth. Mine generally works the first time if I witch to an input source that has no assignment, like HDMI 2

Good luck!

0 Kudos