Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dcbrand
Level 7

Replacing my Roku

Jump to solution

I received email saying my good old Roku device was not going to be supported along with a link to an upgrade offer.  All I want to do is replace what we have - no extras.  It would be nice if Roku, which knows the device I am using, would simply say "model XXXX" would be the equivalent to replace your present device.  On the contrary. I can't find any help, just the offer to sell a variety of devices.  What's the deal?

[post moved to appropriate board]

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Level 15

Re: Replacing my Roku

Jump to solution

@dcbrand wrote:

Weird - I attempted to post this information this morning.  Don't know how I messed up.  Anyhow, my device is a smallish black square with XS etched on the top,  On the bottom I found Roku 2 and 3100X for Model.  I hope this posts and someone can guide me to the replacement nearest to the one we have enjoyed.  thanks, dcbrand

Oh yeah, the 3100 is very old. I have two myself. As mentioned, it was once top of the line, but is woefully underpowered and out of date for the latest channels. Mine have been stashed in a drawer for a couple of years now, because they performed so poorly. 

As mentioned, there is no direct replacement for the 2 XS. The Ultra is almost there, but it doesn't have the analog outputs the 3100 had. But in every other way the Ultra is so far beyond the 3100 there's no comparison. Support for 4K/HDR and H.265 are of course the most significant improvements, but it's also far more powerful than even Roku devices that are far newer than the 3100. 

So, unless you need the analog outputs, the Ultra would be the closest replacement to your 3100. If you're OK with wireless only, then the Premiere or Premiere+ are lower cost options. If you do need analog out, the Express+ (no longer available on the Roku site, but can still be found online) is the only option available.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Tivoburkee
Level 12

Jump to solution

Go to settings> system> about. And tell us your model of roku, we could tell you the equivalent model now available. You post has to info, try helping us to help you.

dcbrand
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks tivoburkee,  I'm headed for bed and the device is downstairs.  I'll check in the morning for model info.  I can tell you we have had it for several years and it was the basic device - came with a small black plastic block that rests under the Roku TV and a simple remote controller.  If that helps, great.  Otherwise I will get the model number in the morning.  Peace, dcbrand

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

Jump to solution

@dcbrand wrote:

Thanks tivoburkee,  I'm headed for bed and the device is downstairs.  I'll check in the morning for model info.  I can tell you we have had it for several years and it was the basic device - came with a small black plastic block that rests under the Roku TV and a simple remote controller.  If that helps, great.  Otherwise I will get the model number in the morning.  Peace, dcbrand

The devices that are being dropped from support were all released in 2011 or 2012. If you've only had it a few years, then unfortunately you bought something that was already a few years out of date. But if that really is all the time you've had it, perhaps your Roku isn't actually included and you received the email in error. We'll know for sure when you can tell us what model you have.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
dcbrand
Level 7

Jump to solution

Weird - I attempted to post this information this morning.  Don't know how I messed up.  Anyhow, my device is a smallish black square with XS etched on the top,  On the bottom I found Roku 2 and 3100X for Model.  I hope this posts and someone can guide me to the replacement nearest to the one we have enjoyed.  thanks, dcbrand

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 12

Jump to solution

Roku XS 3100 at one time was the top of the line Roku, the equivalent nowadays would be Roku Ultra. The Ultra is only roku with a usb port,and it has Ethernet port, but doesn't have av breakout jack like xs had. Instead of using Bluetooth remote like xs, it now uses Wifi direct, both are RF. Ultra now has tv power & volume on the remote. If you can do without the USB port and Ethernet port, there are cheaper roku you can get.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

Jump to solution

@dcbrand wrote:

Oh yeah, the 3100 is very old. I have two myself. As mentioned, it was once top of the line, but is woefully underpowered and out of date for the latest channels. Mine have been stashed in a drawer for a couple of years now, because they performed so poorly. 

As mentioned, there is no direct replacement for the 2 XS. The Ultra is almost there, but it doesn't have the analog outputs the 3100 had. But in every other way the Ultra is so far beyond the 3100 there's no comparison. Support for 4K/HDR and H.265 are of course the most significant improvements, but it's also far more powerful than even Roku devices that are far newer than the 3100. 

So, unless you need the analog outputs, the Ultra would be the closest replacement to your 3100. If you're OK with wireless only, then the Premiere or Premiere+ are lower cost options. If you do need analog out, the Express+ (no longer available on the Roku site, but can still be found online) is the only option available.

Dan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
dcbrand
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for the help.  I just accepted the upgrade offer for the Express + at $22+ with tax and shipping.  The Roku site offers no link to check and confirm the order or track the delivery.  Guess I'm Amazon spoiled.  So, I'll just wait and see.  I couldn't even go back to see if this offer included the remote or if I had to order that separately or if my old remote will work with the new device.  Someone needs help - maybe Roku, maybe me, maybe both.  Peace, dcbrand

0 Kudos