Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Replacing my Roku

Jump to solution

@dcbrand wrote:

My new Roku Express + arrived and set up seemed smooth.  Then I noticed that there is no "power" button on the remote.  Both strange and inconvenient.  Even worse, with our old Roku at the top of the "Home" menu was always DVD - DVR - Antenna.  That whole line is gone.  If I use the old remote which does have a "power" button by the way, that top line reappears.  I'm so frustrated I could scream.  I had to call Netflix to renew my account to use the new Express + for some reason and suspect that I now have two systems in one box: the old #2 to turn it on and view over the air TV, and the new Express + to see Netflix after December 15.  What a crazy mess.  And there is no phone number or chat line for Roku available anywhere.  I wish I had studied up on alternatives before I decided to stick with this sorry system.

I'm not following you. Above you said you had the 3100 2 XS. I have the remote for my 3100 in my hand, and there's no power button. And I've never seen a menu line on the screen with Antenna or DVD. That sounds more like a Roku TV. Until Roku released their most recent players, only Roku TVs had power buttons on the remote. My Ultra, which is only 3 years old, has no power button. And the players that do now have such a button are not powered off with that button, as it's solely for controlling a TV via IR or CEC.

What TV are you using to connect the Express+? It sounds like you have a Roku TV as well as a 2 XS. If that's the case, then yes you have two separate Roku devices using the same screen. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply and I think you hit the nail on the head, unfortunately.  We did purchase a TCL Roku TV and Roku 2 XS streaming device at the same time and have been very happy with it.  My wife is "addicted" to Netflix, so when word arrived that after Dec. 15 that 2 XS wouldn't work, I got advice here about replacement.  I set up the Express + and discovered it solved one problem and created two.  1.) the new remote has not power button thereby requiring two remote at all time. 2.) the home screen with the 2 XS had a row of icons (DVD : DVR : Antenna) across the top of the three column display of channel icons, and since we are over the air TV and save programs on the DVD regularly, that was great.  BUT NOW with the Express +, I have to have the old remote to power on/off and that top row is gone and I can't figure out how to restore it.  So, if anyone has a fix for either of these problems, I would appreciate hearing.  I can say that during the setup routine for the Express + under settings I did select Antenna, DVD, and DVR.  Don't know why that didn't have the desired effect.  I will mark Dan's reply as a solution though the problem created by the new devise even when properly installed remains sad!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

Thanks for the acknowledgement. But I don't understand why you're using a Roku player on a Roku TV. The TV does everything the Roku player does, so it's not like you get anything additional by adding the Express to a Roku TV. 

Use the Roku TV as your Roku device, and use the Express+ on another TV. Then you have the remote that came with the Roku TV to control everything on that TV. Yes, the Express+ will still need two remotes, one for the TV and one for the Roku. I don't think the Roku Enhanced Voice remote works on any of the Express models, so you can't add one to allow a single remote for both devices. 

Or is Netflix saying the Roku TV will also no longer be supported? I didn't think any Roku TV was old enough to become a legacy product, but the 2XS certainly is. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks again, Dan.  I seem to be more confused.  Yes am using a TCL Roku TV.  I honestly can't recall if the 2 XS device came with the TV or if it was purchased separately.  Regardless, it may have been just sitting on the shelf under the TV and doing nothing while the remote and TV did all the work.  I am not clear on the Netflix thing.  I just recall seeing the announcement that older Roku devices would no longer stream Netflis after 12/15.  Did that pertain to the Roku TV? or just the 2 XS device which apparently hasn't been doing anything anyway.  Regardless, the Express + has replaced the 2 XS and apart from the silliness of having two systems in one box, it seems to be working.  If I had a second TV I would follow your suggestion and hook up the Express + to it and just rely on the TV.  By the way, is there any good use for the retired 2 XS?  I hate to just pitch in the electronics recycling tub at the store.

0 Kudos
Level 21

Jump to solution

@dcbrand wrote:

Thanks again, Dan.  I seem to be more confused.  Yes am using a TCL Roku TV.  I honestly can't recall if the 2 XS device came with the TV or if it was purchased separately.  Regardless, it may have been just sitting on the shelf under the TV and doing nothing while the remote and TV did all the work.  I am not clear on the Netflix thing.  I just recall seeing the announcement that older Roku devices would no longer stream Netflis after 12/15.  Did that pertain to the Roku TV? or just the 2 XS device which apparently hasn't been doing anything anyway.  Regardless, the Express + has replaced the 2 XS and apart from the silliness of having two systems in one box, it seems to be working.  If I had a second TV I would follow your suggestion and hook up the Express + to it and just rely on the TV.  By the way, is there any good use for the retired 2 XS?  I hate to just pitch in the electronics recycling tub at the store.

I'm pretty sure the Netflix announcement does not apply to any Roku TV. They just aren't that old.

The 2XS might make a good paperweight. Smiley Happy But mine have been buried in a drawer for several years. They just can't cut it for streaming my local media, which is a heavy use for mine. 

Dan
0 Kudos