Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sdtv

Replacing Satellite TV with Roku

Recently installed Roku for my TV.  I still have Direct TV satellite dish for my TV.  How can I figure out what i can drop from Direct TV and substitute via Roku.  Specifically Showtime, HBO, Starz and Cinemax as well as big channel option with Direct TV.   

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Replacing Satellite TV with Roku

@Sdtv 

The services you mentioned (not sure about Cinemax) has standalone apps and subscriptions. You can get those without a cable or satellite service. You can also get those independent of other streaming services, although they are all available with some services.

For "big channel option" I'm assuming you want live content of major cable/satellite channels, rather than simply on-demand content. As for how to get those, it depends on what you want. For me, I simply subscribe to Hulu for $7/month and watch what I want on-demand the next day. While that works for me, you may want stuff I have no interest in. That's why specifics are always best.

For the ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC, you could get an antenna if you live close enough to a tower. That's a one-time expense, and free live viewing going forward.

There are also streaming services that carry local channels:

• YouTube TV ($65/month)
  • Fubo ($65/month)
  • Hulu+Live TV (includes standard Hulu and the Disney Bundle) ($70/month)
  • DirecTV Stream ($70/month +)

If you want services without local channels, your options expand to include:

• Frndly TV ($7/month)
  • Philo ($25/month)
  • Sling TV ($35/month +)

If you simply want that type of content, but not necessarily that specific content, then there are some free live streaming services, including but not limited to:

• Pluto TV
  • Roku Channel
  • Xumo
  • Tubi

There are a lot more. Just look around the Roku Channel Store on your device or online.

You may find that with services such as Paramount+ (which can include a live CBS stream), Disney+, HBO Max, Peacock TV, Discovery+, and others provide you what you want.

I will subscribe to one of these at a time, watch what I want, then cancel at the end of the month and subscribe to a different service. There are a lot of different ways and philosophies to watch stuff streaming. What works for me may not be ideal for you. Just know that you have plenty of options.

If you feel you really need certain cable channels, you could use https://suppose.tv and look up the services that carry specific channels. Or go to the Websites of the particular services and see what all they offer.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos