Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Remove Cast with Roku player

Hello, this past week my brother came over with his Roku device as it was not working for him. We tried it on my network and sure enough it did not work it just got overheated and died. 

Now every time I go on my tablet on my Wi-Fi network, and try to use YouTube on my Android tablet, it keeps asking me to cast to Roku player. The Roku player was not on not long on my network only 5 minutes now I can't watch YouTube videos without happen to have that Roku player casting button all the time.

I dont have a Roku account in fact I just made this account now just to help from community, since there is no email support. And I don't plan on getting a Roku device any time soon.

How do I remove this off of my system? I don't know how it got to my tablet. It's got to be something inside the router and I can't find any settings in it that's related to the Roku. This thing is like a virus. 

Any help would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: Remove Cast with Roku player

Try rebooting your router and tablet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

@renojim wrote:

Try rebooting your router and tablet.

that was the first thing I did.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

it's like it is linked in my router. When I go to my tablet it also shows up as a miracast device on my tablet. so it has to be something in the router. I never used my tablets with the Roku that he brought over. in fact like I said it died within the first of five minutes. How in the heck did it get my tablet and how in the heck is it on my YouTube?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Casting targets announce themselves on a network with multicast packets and client apps remember them for a while so you don't have to wait while they gather the list.  However it shouldn't be showing any devices unless you touch the casting icon to look for them and the icon should go away if you stop fiddling with the screen so a video can play fullscreen.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

@lesmikesell wrote:

Casting targets announce themselves on a network with multicast packets and client apps remember them for a while so you don't have to wait while they gather the list.  However it shouldn't be showing any devices unless you touch the casting icon to look for them and the icon should go away if you stop fiddling with the screen so a video can play fullscreen.

no that's not the issue. I managed to get it out of my YouTube app by just reinstalling it. I have never did anything or touch anything when we had that Roku player on the network. We turned it on we had to access setup the network configuration which is obvious. and as soon as we started watching a video it died and got really hot. so no you're wrong about that.

But let me explain something I have used my Amazon Fire stick before as a casting device. but that's not even on my list anymore because it's not turned on. the only one that I see on my list is the Roku when I go to Miracast on my tablet and there's the Roku device but not the Amazon device. I've never used the Roku like I said I don't know why the Roku is listed but not the Amazon when it should be listed. but the funny thing about it is the Roku device has a link telling me to link it. so it is on the list but it is not linked. so that explains to tell you that I have never linked it or click it or anything like that. I think because I connected it to my router to test it that's how it got into my system now I can't unlink it out of there because it's telling me to link it first. And when I tried to click the link button doesn't do anything because the device is not hooked up.

So the point I'm getting at is that it's on my list but I can't do anything with it I can't unlink it because it's not linked, and I can't link it because it's not there anymore so it shouldn't even be on my list.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Your router shouldn't save anything regarding a roku's offer to be a casting target, but the apps that receive it might.   If you got as far as linking, you can delete in they youtube settings.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/3230451?hl=en

But, maybe there is a point between offering the link and linking that can be saved in the app state.

0 Kudos