Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Remote location access via internet

My father has Dementia and cannot use a tv remote, I live 200 miles away but can see his living room via a webcam.

Is there any way with a Roku stick that I can choose different tv programs for him?
(ie I control the Roku from 200 miles away via the internet). I haven't been able to find info on this.

TIA

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Level 20

Re: Remote location access via internet

You need an aftermarket piece like something like a slingbox? Which are no longer made you would need to go used. This has nothing to do with Slingtv. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Level 21

I'd say technically it's possible, but it would take a bit of work.  At the very least you'd have to set up port forwarding on his router so you could access his Roku.  However, I don't think that would be enough since I'm pretty sure you can only control a Roku via ECP from the local network, so you'd need a computer of some sort located at your father's that you could access via the Internet and then issue commands from that.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Thanks, when I googled this, I found something else by a company called broadlink, which has the ability to emulate a TV & Roku Infra Red remote, which can be accessed over the internet like alexa, this might do the job, has anyone got experience with one of these?

0 Kudos
Level 7

Thanks, I think I might have found a simpler way (if not as complete), see answer above re: broadlink.
I just wonder why ROKU don't do this themselves as there must be many people in a similar situation like me who would make use of a ROKU just for this facility.

0 Kudos