Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Seasider83
Level 7

Remote location access via internet

My father has Dementia and cannot use a tv remote, I live 200 miles away but can see his living room via a webcam.

Is there any way with a Roku stick that I can choose different tv programs for him?
(ie I control the Roku from 200 miles away via the internet). I haven't been able to find info on this.

TIA

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5\
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote location access via internet

You need an aftermarket piece like something like a slingbox? Which are no longer made you would need to go used. This has nothing to do with Slingtv. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I'd say technically it's possible, but it would take a bit of work.  At the very least you'd have to set up port forwarding on his router so you could access his Roku.  However, I don't think that would be enough since I'm pretty sure you can only control a Roku via ECP from the local network, so you'd need a computer of some sort located at your father's that you could access via the Internet and then issue commands from that.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Seasider83
Level 7

Thanks, when I googled this, I found something else by a company called broadlink, which has the ability to emulate a TV & Roku Infra Red remote, which can be accessed over the internet like alexa, this might do the job, has anyone got experience with one of these?

0 Kudos
Seasider83
Level 7

Thanks, I think I might have found a simpler way (if not as complete), see answer above re: broadlink.
I just wonder why ROKU don't do this themselves as there must be many people in a similar situation like me who would make use of a ROKU just for this facility.

0 Kudos
darln719
Level 7

HI, did you have an luck with the remote access using Broadlink? Im in same situation with my mom but I cannot get broadlink to work Roku streaming stick from another location/wifi.

0 Kudos