Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
geekoid
Level 7

Refurbished

I bought a new Roku Ultra, but it looks like someone has been in the box. Is there anyway to tell if it's been refurbished?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Elijah_Baley
Level 7

Re: Refurbished

Not that I have heard of but it is well to remember that in the electronics world "refurbished" often means that the original purchaser bought it without being aware of what it really does or did not have the intelligence to get it to work. Usually there was nothing wrong with a piece of electronics that was returned.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 8

Agree with Elijah_Baley, I buy almost all my electronics refurbed, if there's any damage it's usually just some small ding or scuff or something, just cosmetic, and usually there's no damage at all. As to your question, if it was pre-owned the box most likely wouldn't have shrink wrap or plastic/cellophane, whatever it's called on it, it would just be a bare box taped shut because sellers aren't going to go to the trouble of putting new plastic on the box. So if yours had plastic/cellophane on it you're probably good.
0 Kudos
geekoid
Level 7

No, my box had a second tape seal, and the device has a pretty shabby looking plastic wrapped.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"geekoid" wrote:
I bought a new Roku Ultra, but it looks like someone has been in the box. Is there anyway to tell if it's been refurbished?

Roku refurbished items have a B suffix on the model number. For example, a refurbished Roku Ultra would be 4660B or 4661B.
"geekoid" wrote:
No, my box had a second tape seal, and the device has a pretty shabby looking plastic wrapped.

That's not refurbished. That's repackaged. The store put it back in packaging. That's not the same as refurbished.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Tajson
Level 7

"DBDukes" wrote:
That's not refurbished. That's repackaged. The store put it back in packaging. That's not the same as refurbished.

Actually, it is.
There are two types of refurbished labels. Manufacturer Refurbished unit where the manufacturer had the unit and will back the unit (after a possible review) with the manufacturer warranty just as a new unit. The other is Reseller Refurbished (and some will label them as Open Box) and usually they are covered by 30-90 days return policy for defects (and not the full manufacturer warranty).
0 Kudos
Tajson
Level 7

Now, I will not say that if Big Bubba tried to pry the connector into all possible openings and jiggle it like the toilet handle, that the box will be just as a new. But generally, yes.
0 Kudos
ronfelder
Level 7

"geekoid" wrote:

It has to be labeled refurbished if it is.  
Roku 2xs (3100x), Roku Express (3900x) ,Roku Ultra (4660RW) .FIOS Quantum modem router, Verizon FIOS 100/100, LG HDTV 42LH90, Pioneer VSX-920 Audio/Video Multi Channel Receiver
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

My guess is, this was a store purchase, the buyer returned the Roku for a refund, and the store poorly reboxed the Roku, instead of returning it to Roku for refurbishment, because management at that store is probably lazy.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"jeffrok" wrote:
My guess is, this was a store purchase, the buyer returned the Roku for a refund, and the store poorly reboxed the Roku, instead of returning it to Roku for refurbishment, because management at that store is probably lazy.

Exactly! Repackaged, not refurbished.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos