Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rickdel
Reel Rookie

Reconnecting ROKU stick using HDMI splitter

I needed to add and HDMI splitter to my Viziio TV because I added a soundbar and ran out of HDMI ports. Now I can't seem to reconnect the Roku because the TV remote doesn't recognize the added ports.

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Reconnecting ROKU stick using HDMI splitter

When you say "splitter" I think of something meant to go the other way.  Ie: one source to two outputs.  If you're out of input ports, then you need a switch (or go all out and get an AV receiver).

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Also, the TV won't recognize that you've added more ports.  You select the HDMI input that the switch is connected to and then use the switch (it should have a button on it and/or a remote) to choose the device that's connected to the switch.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
cmh17
Reel Rookie

I have about  the same problem I   have two HDMI ports 1 for tv 1 for rOku I  want to put in a splitter so I can use my  laptop on  the tv sometimes I want to put it the hdmi port  with roku on it  can i do that w/o messing things up Is  there a certain splitter I need  Thanks

0 Kudos
atc98092

@cmh17 wrote:

I have about  the same problem I   have two HDMI ports 1 for tv 1 for rOku I  want to put in a splitter so I can use my  laptop on  the tv sometimes I want to put it the hdmi port  with roku on it  can i do that w/o messing things up Is  there a certain splitter I need  Thanks

Again, you do NOT want a splitter. You want an HDMI switch. They are completely different devices and serve a different purpose.

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
cmh17
Reel Rookie

I  more question can I have 2 streaming devices on the same switch?

0 Kudos
atc98092

A switch will have a number of input ports (from two to perhaps as many as eight), and likely a single output. However many input ports you have, you could connect that many devices to it. Your TV/AVR/Soundbar will only see the one signal, so choosing between the connected devices it done at the switch, not the TV/AVR/Soundbar.

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
cmh17
Reel Rookie

Another non tech guy question   does  the  tv go into  the in port and I have a roku stick and sometimes I have my laptop  there also at times  they  would go into  out ports right. I maybe  adding a fire stick to the mix also  sorry  for  the silly questions

0 Kudos
cmh17
Reel Rookie

I think i got  the in,s and outs  mixed up

0 Kudos
renojim

It's not clear if you have this figured out, but the switch will have one "out" and multiple "ins". Some switches will automatically switch to the active input, so for example if you only connect your laptop once in a while when you do connect it the switch will switch to it.  Switches also have a button on them and/or a remote control to switch between connected devices.  All the devices connected to the switch will appear on your TV under the same HDMI input (i.e., HDMI1 or HDMI2).  You'd probably want to connect the device you use the most to HDMI1 and the output of the switch to HDMI2.  Then connect your other devices to the inputs of the switch.

I am not a Roku employee.