Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Theitkamp
Level 7

Re-Using a Roku

Jump to solution

I have a roku stick and remote that I no longer use because we now have smart TV's.  I would like to give the stick and remote to a friend.  Would they be able to use it or is it tied in to my account.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Re-Using a Roku

Jump to solution

It is tied to your account but factory reset of the roku will clear your account out and put in a state so your friend can start they're own account with different email address. If you have access to the settingds via the remote go to settings> system> advanced system settings> factory reset> follow prompts

Or look for a reset button on the roku stick itself, with it powered depress the reset button for over 30 seconds. Once you reset the roku it will need to be re-paired to the remote. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

It is tied to your account but factory reset of the roku will clear your account out and put in a state so your friend can start they're own account with different email address. If you have access to the settingds via the remote go to settings> system> advanced system settings> factory reset> follow prompts

Or look for a reset button on the roku stick itself, with it powered depress the reset button for over 30 seconds. Once you reset the roku it will need to be re-paired to the remote. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Visiter555
Level 8

Jump to solution

You also need to remove the device from your Roku.Com account.