Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

ROKU SE 2710XFrom Black Friday several years ago - Keeps looping set up

Jump to solution

Hey everyone , Does anyone know a work around for the ROKU SE ? It keeps booting through the set-up screen . It picks up WIFI , Does firmware update , reboots , then repeats. Keeps doing it.

I read online it was a discontinued model ( SE 

2710X ) and has no further support. 

I know the problem is because it was not activated for several years later and just sat in the box. 

Looks like it will be a paper weight,,lol Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Dan
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: ROKU SE 2710XFrom Black Friday several years ago - Keeps looping set up

Jump to solution

Thank you very much for the prompt response.

I assumed it was discontinued, It is fine. I still have another ROKU streaming device I am very pleased with.

Thank you again for your time.

Dan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

The 2710, also known as the Roku SE or Roku 1, was released in Sept 2013. As you noted, it is no longer supported by Roku, meaning it no longer receives OS updates. It also is not capable of running many of the latest channels. It has nothing to do with sitting in a drawer for several years. My old 2 XS has done the same but I can still fire it up if I'm looking for a painful user experience. 

Unfortunately, your 2710 has encountered some sort of failure, and your only option is to replace it. I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised with the performance of a newer player compared to your old one. I don't recommend the Express, as it seems far too many people have issues with them. Stick with the Premiere, Stick or Ultra if you want to stay with Roku. There are also good choices from Amazon with the Fire TV products, but be prepared for the user interface to feel like an Amazon.com web page. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you very much for the prompt response.

I assumed it was discontinued, It is fine. I still have another ROKU streaming device I am very pleased with.

Thank you again for your time.

Dan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Jump to solution

This has worked for some people with the same problem (but not for others).  You might want to at least give it a try:

Repeat the setup by connecting to a different wifi network - perhaps via a wifi hotspot on your mobile phone or by taking it to a friend's house - and see if it will complete the startup.

If successful, then redo the wifi connection to use your intended wifi network via Settings > Network > Set up connection.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

The 2710, also known as the Roku SE or Roku 1, was released in Sept 2013. As you noted, it is no longer supported by Roku, meaning it no longer receives OS updates. It also is not capable of running many of the latest channels. It has nothing to do with sitting in a drawer for several years. My old 2 XS has done the same but I can still fire it up if I'm looking for a painful user experience. 

Unfortunately, your 2710 has encountered some sort of failure, and your only option is to replace it. I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised with the performance of a newer player compared to your old one. I don't recommend the Express, as it seems far too many people have issues with them. Stick with the Premiere, Stick or Ultra if you want to stay with Roku. There are also good choices from Amazon with the Fire TV products, but be prepared for the user interface to feel like an Amazon.com web page. 

This is incorrect:  the 2710 is in fact still supported and receives both OS/app updates (if applicable), depending (e.g, Disney+ is available and updates to the latest app version, whereas NetFlix is locked to an older version).

https://developer.roku.com/docs/specs/hardware.md

Its listed under "updatable models".

In fact, I manually updated my 2710 to 9.4.0-4183 a few days ago.

That being said, the UI response is extremely slow, and navigating is an exercise in patience - assuming one needs composite output, and if one can find the 3910, its a (fast) normally responsive device with access to recent app versions (for all supported apps).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

Yep, I just double-checked the docs and you are correct. That's likely the oldest Roku still supported, but it's still very old and underpowered. And my statement about the newest channels not working on it is still accurate. 

Also on the docs page they list the maximum playback resolution as 1280x720, 60fps, so it barely qualifies as an HD player. While it can probably connect to a 1080p display, you aren't getting full resolution. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

Yep, I just double-checked the docs and you are correct. That's likely the oldest Roku still supported, but it's still very old and underpowered. And my statement about the newest channels not working on it is still accurate. 

Also on the docs page they list the maximum playback resolution as 1280x720, 60fps, so it barely qualifies as an HD player. While it can probably connect to a 1080p display, you aren't getting full resolution. 

"Newest channels not working" is subjective (e.g. Disney+ is available, gets the latest updates, and streams fine, though Peacock is not available at all, NetFlix is an older version/build with no profile support, etc).

And while the docs are probably mostly correct about its specs, the video output information is incorrect: it actually outputs at 720p or 1080p via HDMI, detectable/selectable, and can play 1080p content, verifiable with YouTube w/stats for nerds & TV info screen.

Regardless, most users using a composite-capable model (like the 2710) are using it with composite output - where 720p is more than enough for the SD CRT TVs/etc its likely connecting to.

Again, the biggest limiting factors for the 2710 are its UI navigation speed, followed by its outdated/more limited app selection - which is why if you need composite output the 3910 is your best bet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

Composite output is analog, and no better than 575i/p. For any higher resolution you have to have either a component video connection, which can offer 720p or 1080i, or HDMI for 1080p or higher. I few of the very first generation players offered an S-Video connection, but I believe it also was limited to no more than 575i. I can find no documentation that any Roku has offered a component output. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

Composite output is analog, and no better than 575i/p. For any higher resolution you have to have either a component video connection, which can offer 720p or 1080i, or HDMI for 1080p or higher. I few of the very first generation players offered an S-Video connection, but I believe it also was limited to no more than 575i. I can find no documentation that any Roku has offered a component output. 

Thats all true - but component output isnt being discussed - rather the 2710 (which has both HDMI and composite output), and which is incorrectly documented as being limited to a max resolution of 1280 x 720 (again, thats incorrect, its a 1080p capable player) - which (even if true, though its not) is more than enough for a composite configuration, as previously noted.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am still connected to the overpriced Spectrum. I need help I'm an older person and don't quite understand all of this new technology I bought a TCL Smart TV that has Roku on it what will I need in order to cut the cable bill. Do I have to keep internet or can I get rid of that as well please someone out there help me

0 Kudos