Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dman71
Reel Rookie

Protective film Question

Jump to solution

I Just unboxed and activated an Express 4K+.  On the front of the device there was a protective plastic film that needed to be removed.  After removing the plastic, there was a sticky residue left that covered the entire area.  I am assuming this should and can be removed as well?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Protective film Question

Jump to solution

I've never had that film leave a residue and I'd say it's not supposed to, but I'd remove it if it was there.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

MilesT
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Before you try alcohol,

Silver polishing cloth with no polish (just residues), rub hard

A little light cooking oil on a cloth (old socks are good), just barely wet with oil, and rub hard. 

Or a tiny squirt of aerosol oil (WD40 or similar) on a cloth.

Alcohol, acetone (nail polish remover), dry clean fluid (Type P if you can get any) etc may etch the plastic, so go careful.

Not a Roku employee

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I've never had that film leave a residue and I'd say it's not supposed to, but I'd remove it if it was there.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
dman71
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@renojim wrote:

This film did.  Left the front of the device sticky and flat finish, not shiny as it should be.  I have not tried to remove it yet but hopefully alcohol will do it.

0 Kudos
MilesT
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Before you try alcohol,

A little light cooking oil on a cloth (old socks are good), just barely wet with oil, and rub hard. 

Alcohol, acetone (nail polish remover), dry clean fluid (Type P if you can get any) etc may etch the plastic, so go careful.

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
dman71
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@MilesT wrote:

Before you try alcohol,

Finally got it off with a lot of very light rubbing with 70% alcohol.  Surface now looks nice and shiny as it should.  No etching or scratching either.  Amazing how a problem this minor, could aggravate me so much.Smiley Embarassed

0 Kudos
arslanbutt
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes, the sticky residue left after removing the protective plastic film on your Roku Express 4K+ can be safely cleaned. Turn off the device, use a soft, lint-free cloth dampened with water or a mild cleaning solution, and gently wipe the residue. Avoid excessive force and abrasive materials. Dry the device thoroughly afterward. Refer to the user manual for specific cleaning instructions or contact Roku's customer support for guidance if needed

0 Kudos
arslanbutt
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes, it's common for electronic devices to have protective plastic films that need to be removed upon unboxing. The sticky residue left behind is often due to the adhesive used on the protective film. It's generally safe to remove this residue.

To clean the sticky residue:

1. Turn off and unplug the device: Before cleaning, it's a good idea to turn off and unplug the device to ensure safety.

2. Use a soft, lint-free cloth: Dampen a soft, lint-free cloth with a small amount of water or a mild cleaning solution. Make sure the cloth is not excessively wet.

3. Gently wipe the residue: Gently wipe the sticky residue from the surface of the device. Avoid using excessive force or abrasive materials that could damage the device.

4. Dry the device: After removing the residue, dry the device thoroughly with a clean, dry cloth.

Always refer to the user manual or any included documentation for specific cleaning instructions provided by the manufacturer. If you encounter any difficulties or have concerns about cleaning the device, you may also consider reaching out to Roku's customer support for guidance.

0 Kudos