Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Pre-purchase Roku Device Questions

Jump to solution

Hello Moderator/Helper

Am about to purchase some Roku items but need a bit of help please.

Have four TV's in the house. Three are pretty old and what I have read so far I will need a ROKU express for two of them. I do not have 4K on any of the TV's. Is my thinking correct ?

I believe I can move the ROKU express from one TV to another.....is this correct ?

If correct do I need to reprogram the ROKU device when plugged into the TV I am moving it to ?

This is my first venture to 'streaming' so any advice/suggestions would be welcome. Please make it simple, am retired and old.

Regards

Peter

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Level 21

Re: Pre-purchase Roku Device Questions

Jump to solution

@drifter82 wrote:

Sorry Danny....was about to order but do not seem to be able to find which ROKU product has the capability to connect to a TV which just has the red/white/yellow/green etc audio connections. Can you advize please ?

No current Roku player supports analog connections any longer. The last Roku that did offer such support was the Express Plus (model 3910) which was discontinued more than a year ago. You also won't find a player with analog outputs in the Fire TV line. Amazon still offers some old stock model 3910 players, but the price is astronomical ($150!). It would almost be less expensive to replace the TV with a modern HDTV. 

Frankly, it's almost impossible to find a player with analog outputs any longer. You really only have two options: replace the TV with a new HDTV that includes HDMI ports, or attempt using an HDMI to analog converter. People have reported mixed results using a converter. If it works, it's fine. But if it doesn't, there's no buttons or switches that can be flipped to make it work. And don't forget, using the converter reduces the image to standard definition. That conversion may or may not look good on your TV. There's no way to tell except to try it. 

You mentioned a green connection on your TV. That sounds like a component input, which is different from a standard analog signal. Instead of using 3 connections (1 video and 2 audio), it uses 5 (3 video and two audio). Red and white are always audio, while the video can be yellow (basic composite video) or a group of red/green/blue (component). Component is actually capable of a high definition image, either 720p or 1080i. Roku has not sold a player with component outputs for over 10 years, and again no one else does either. To my knowledge they've never sold a player that supports 1080i either, only 1080p.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@drifter82 

Thanks for the inquiries.

It seems like your asking some confusion questions, so I'll do my best to clarify.

-How old are your TVs? Do they have HDMI input? If they are old, they will definitely not have 4K capability.

-You can move Roku devices from one TV to another, and as many times as you wish. Our customers typically just resort to purchasing multiple Roku devices for each of their TVs so they don't have to deal with unplugging and plugging their devices all the time.

-If you have already activated and setup a Roku device on a TV, you won't need to set it up again.

Hope that provides some insight into your future streaming venture, please feel free to ask if you have any further questions or need more clarification. I'm sure other members in the Community will be able to help and can provide further information if they deem appropriate.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hello Danny,

I apologize if my questions were confusing. Thank you for answering some of my questions. I have two TV's that have HDMI ports and one TV that only has the red/white/yellow/green... audio connectors. I now know what Roku device will work with that.

So thanks for following up. Will go and purchase what I need.

Merry Christmas

Regards
Peter

0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

Sorry Danny....was about to order but do not seem to be able to find which ROKU product has the capability to connect to a TV which just has the red/white/yellow/green etc audio connections. Can you advize please ?

Regards
Peter

0 Kudos
Level 21

Jump to solution

@drifter82 wrote:

No current Roku player supports analog connections any longer. The last Roku that did offer such support was the Express Plus (model 3910) which was discontinued more than a year ago. You also won't find a player with analog outputs in the Fire TV line. Amazon still offers some old stock model 3910 players, but the price is astronomical ($150!). It would almost be less expensive to replace the TV with a modern HDTV. 

Frankly, it's almost impossible to find a player with analog outputs any longer. You really only have two options: replace the TV with a new HDTV that includes HDMI ports, or attempt using an HDMI to analog converter. People have reported mixed results using a converter. If it works, it's fine. But if it doesn't, there's no buttons or switches that can be flipped to make it work. And don't forget, using the converter reduces the image to standard definition. That conversion may or may not look good on your TV. There's no way to tell except to try it. 

You mentioned a green connection on your TV. That sounds like a component input, which is different from a standard analog signal. Instead of using 3 connections (1 video and 2 audio), it uses 5 (3 video and two audio). Red and white are always audio, while the video can be yellow (basic composite video) or a group of red/green/blue (component). Component is actually capable of a high definition image, either 720p or 1080i. Roku has not sold a player with component outputs for over 10 years, and again no one else does either. To my knowledge they've never sold a player that supports 1080i either, only 1080p.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hello Dan,

OK...thanks again. Will just get a ROKU TV. Appreciate your time and responses.

Regards
Peter.

0 Kudos
Level 21

Jump to solution

@drifter82 wrote:

Hello Dan,

OK...thanks again. Will just get a ROKU TV. Appreciate your time and responses.

If Apple AirPlay is of interest to you, don't get an Onn Roku TV (Walmart house brand). That is one of the only 4K Roku TVs that won't get AirPlay. 

Dan
0 Kudos