Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pilotnh
Level 7

Plug a Roku stick into a Roku TV?

I have a Sharp Roku TV that is almost 2 years old. When I play YouTube TV is "throttles" the picture to 30 fps even if the program is offered in 60 fps. I assume this is due to hardware limitations. This is particularly frustrating for sports.
I am thinking about getting a Roku stick and plugging it into an HDMI port to get around this problem. Something about this feels weirdly redundant and having 2 Roku remotes to deal with seems unnecessary. Is there a way to streamline this and get it all to work with one remote? Any other ideas I haven't thought about? Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Plug a Roku stick into a Roku TV?

"pilotnh" wrote:
I have a Sharp Roku TV that is almost 2 years old. When I play YouTube TV is "throttles" the picture to 30 fps even if the program is offered in 60 fps. I assume this is due to hardware limitations. This is particularly frustrating for sports.

It very well may be a hardware limitation that Google is handling it by delivering 30 fps. Others may know for certain, I don't.
"pilotnh" wrote:
I am thinking about getting a Roku stick and plugging it into an HDMI port to get around this problem. Something about this feels weirdly redundant and having 2 Roku remotes to deal with seems unnecessary. Is there a way to streamline this and get it all to work with one remote? Any other ideas I haven't thought about? Thanks.

Yes, it does seem redundant, but it will work. As for a single remote, maybe. The Roku Stick remote can control power and volume, but nothing more, for a TV. Unless someone has actually used a Stick remote to control a Sharp Roku TV, I don't know if it will work for power/volume.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

I've used my Stick with both of my Roku TVs, just to try it. Yes, it works just fine. No, you can't use a single remote. Since my Stick does't have a volume control on the remote, it wouldn't work as the primary anyway. And the TV remote won't work on the Stick because it is IR and the Stick only supports Wi-Fi Direct. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

The current line of Sticks come with the remote with power and volume controls, so they still may control volume and power on the TV, but nothing more than that.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos