Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
B_B
Reel Rookie

Playing audio through home stereo system

When watching TV programming  via my cable box I am able to play the audio through my home stereo receiver and speakers.   However, when the programming is coming via my Roku Express the audio is only produced from the TV speaker.  In fact, if the cable box is also on, that audio is heard through the home stereo, while the Roku audio is heard through the TV.

Can I play the Roku programming audio through the home speakers?  What must i do?

Thanks.

58 REPLIES 58
twiceover
Roku Guru

Re: Playing audio through home stereo system

Really depends on your setup.  Maybe outline what equipment you have and how they are all connected to eachother.

0 Kudos
Williamt100
Roku Guru

It should be possible, depending upon your available TV and AVR inputs/outputs.

Here is how my system is configured:

{ROKU Ultra} ==HDMI==> {LG AVR} <==HDMI== {LG TV} <==COAX/Ant.==

5.1  Surround Speakers

Your configuration options will depend upon your specific hardware.

Roku 3500X
Roku 4400X
Roku 4661X
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Sounds to me that your Roku is connected directly to the TV, and not the audio video receiver (AVR). If you don't have HDMI inputs on the AVR that would make sense. Otherwise, it should be connected to your AVR. But if you must connect directly to the TV, then you need to send the TV audio back out to your home audio. This can be done one of two ways: either back through the HDMI cable using what is called Audio Return Channel (ARC), or using an optical audio cable from the TV to the receiver. 

Since your cable box is connected to your AVR, I have to assume that it does have HDMI input/output, so unless you've used all your available inputs, connect the Roku straight to the AVR.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
B_B
Reel Rookie

My  Sony Receiver predates the HDMI days.  The ROKU is connected to the TV via HDMI. The TV audio is connected to the receiver by standard Red/White cables.  The cable box is connected to the TV via HDMI.  I'm beginning to think that I'm just out of luck.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@B_B wrote:

My  Sony Receiver predates the HDMI days.  The ROKU is connected to the TV via HDMI. The TV audio is connected to the receiver by standard Red/White cables.  The cable box is connected to the TV via HDMI.  I'm beginning to think that I'm just out of luck.

You still should be able to get your Roku audio sent out via the analog cables from the TV. But first, make sure you have your Roku audio output set to Stereo, not Auto. This should ensure you send audio to the TV that it can send back out. Then in the TV there should be a setting to disable the TV speakers. Turn them off, and the Roku should appear in your Sony on the same input as the TV.

Dan

0 Kudos
mrsmg
Reel Rookie

I have a roku express is this model capable of surround sound connection? I have the roku connected directly to the HDMI on TV. How to I connect the TV to the AVR to get the sound . I disconnected my cable box as it is no longer needed and now I have no surround sound. I have yellow, white and red  ended cables, can I use these to connect tv to AVR? Thank you

0 Kudos
atc98092

@mrsmg wrote:

I have a roku express is this model capable of surround sound connection? I have the roku connected directly to the HDMI on TV. How to I connect the TV to the AVR to get the sound . I disconnected my cable box as it is no longer needed and now I have no surround sound. I have yellow, white and red  ended cables, can I use these to connect tv to AVR? Thank you

Yes, the Express is capable of 5.1 audio. However, not all TVs will pass that 5.1 sound back out to an AVR. It works the best if you can connect your Roku directly to the AVR via HDMI, and send the video out from there to the TV. But some TVs will send the 5.1 audio back out to an AVR, either via ARC or the optical out. 

The problem with using the yellow/white/red cables is that they are analog. The video (yellow cable) is standard def, so no HD display. The red/white audio is analog, so you can't get Dolby Digital. Stereo sound only, which your AVR can use to simulate 5.1 using the old Dolby Pro-Logic Surround processing. Those connections are used on older non-HDTVs that don't have HDMI inputs. 

Dan

0 Kudos
mrsmg
Reel Rookie

My TV does have a HDMI ACR connection port. My AVR has numerous HDMI connection options. I am unsure what connections I use for what.

AVR HDMI connection options: DVR/BD IN, BD IN,VIDEO IN and OUT.                    Which one would I connect my ROKU to and which one would I connect my TV to? When my surround sound is on its in the BD mode. It all does not make sense to me me. Do I need any other connections besides the Roku to AVR and AVR to TV? Cant figure out why pic attached upside down sorry . 

back of AVRback of AVR THANK YOU!!!

0 Kudos
atc98092

Yeah, upside down 😄

The TV connects to the port labeled OUT, with the white background. Your AVR does not say ARC on that jack, so it really doesn't matter which port you connect it to on the TV. Since it doesn't appear that your AVR supports ARC, you'll need to connect the TV back to the AVR via optical or the red/white analog cables. 

Your Roku can connect to any of the four inputs. They labeled them for common uses, but it really doesn't matter which one you use. You just need to remember which one it's in. 🙂

To watch your Roku, you would switch your TV input to whatever HDMI port you used to connect to the AVR. Then the AVR needs to be set to the HDMI input the Roku is connected to. This might sound complex, but once you've done it a few times you won't even think about it. 

Now, a couple of technical things. Hang with me here.

• Most online providers (Netflix, Prime, Vudu, etc.) use Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) as their preferred audio codec. This means for 5.1 surround sound, your AVR must also support DD+. Depending on its age, it might or might not. If it doesn't, then you'll still only get stereo audio from those providers. 
  • There is a function called CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) that might simplify switching between TV and your Roku. Basically, if your TV and AVR support CEC, you can simply press a button on your Roku remote (I prefer to always hit the Home button), and both your TV and AVR will change to the correct inputs automatically. Changing your TV back to the OTA tuner will switch your AVR back to TV audio. If either or both don't support CEC, then you just switch inputs as I mentioned above. I only mention CEC in case you hit a remote button and it surprises you when it all changes by itself. 🙂
Dan

0 Kudos