Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JimmyThree

Play sound from Roku through an old stereo receiver

I'm cutting the cable cord. Sound from my Roku is playing through my TV speaker now. I want to play it through my stereo. which is 25 years old and pre-dates HDMI, Bluetooth, and everything else! Any suggestions? Thanks! 

4 REPLIES 4
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Re: Play sound from Roku through an old stereo receiver

If your TV supports AV cables you could try that. But the sound quality won’t be as good as HDMI. Pick yourself up a soundbar with a subwoofer. You won’t be disappointed 

MilesT
Roku Guru

Or a Roku streambar/streambar pro (which has Roku streaming embedded).  Won't connect to stereo but pretty good sound quality.

Roku also sell wireless speakers/subwoofer, but these are pricey and not available outside NA, so I haven't tried them myself

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@MilesT  The Roku wireless speakers and subwoofer only work with Roku TVs or the Roku soundbar. I own the wireless speakers and subwoofer for my 65” TCL Roku TV and love them

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

A more modern Audio/Video Receiver (AVR) could integrate the Roku, Blu-Ray, TV and the rest of your stereo.  My AVR is about 14 years old but it has ~7 HDMI ports, plus many older-style AV ports and some audio-only ports.  When I switched from an even older receiver (1985ish), I removed a massive amount of cabling because HDMI is so simple.

Of course, you could also get an HDMI audio extractor for the old receiver.  A little more kludgy with an extra gizmo, but it should work.