Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
GaryFink
Level 7

Picture aspect ratio.

Jump to solution

How do I change the aspect ratio from 16:9 wide to 4:3 letterbox?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Picture aspect ratio.

Jump to solution

If you're using the analog outputs, the 4:3 option should be available on the Display menu. If you're using HDMI there's a chance that option isn't available. But 4:3 material should be sent out of the player at the correct ratio if the channel is sending it correctly. If not, any 16:9 set (apparently other than Roku TVs) should have a size function that will put the image where it belongs. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Jump to solution

You have provided us with nothing to go on. If you are referring to a Roku TV, I'm unaware of any aspect ratio changing functionality. For Roku players, only devices that offered analog out connections offered different ratios under the Display menu option. For all other Roku players, there is no way to change its aspect ratio. 

Exactly what are you trying to do, and why?

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
GaryFink
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have the Roku Express+ with analog outputs and I would like to change the aspect ratio from 16:9 wide to  4:3 letterbox because I can get the full width of the picture with that setting. 16:9 wide enlarges the picture to fill in the screen and crops the edges.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Jump to solution

If you're using the analog outputs, the 4:3 option should be available on the Display menu. If you're using HDMI there's a chance that option isn't available. But 4:3 material should be sent out of the player at the correct ratio if the channel is sending it correctly. If not, any 16:9 set (apparently other than Roku TVs) should have a size function that will put the image where it belongs. 

Dan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
GaryFink
Level 7

Jump to solution

So to get the 4:3 letterbox option I must use the analog video output?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Jump to solution

I think that's correct, but I'm not certain. I've never used analog output with a Roku. Just a guess on my part from past experience. 

Dan
GaryFink
Level 7

Jump to solution

I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes thank you.

0 Kudos