Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Payment information required

Jump to solution

I was going to sign up for Roku but stopped when I realized I must enter my credit card information.

Every month or so we hear about another company's information getting hacked. I want to limit the number of companies storing my credit card info. This is sensitive information. And having Roku store it permanently "just in case" is something I find objectionable.

It helps Roku. It definitely doesn't help me. It's enough of an issue to find another device.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Payment information required

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

Well, you'll encounter the same request with a Fire TV, unless you already have an Amazon account so they have your CC anyway. There's no need for a CC to use an Nvidia Shield, but of course it can't access anything without adding apps, which might each require a CC. 

There used to be a way to bypass the request for a CC, but I set my account up many years ago and I don't know if they've altered it. I do know that Roku does not have a valid CC on file for me. I just checked my account info, and the CC they have shows an expiration date of 2014. So at some time I did provide a CC, but they don't require it to keep the account active. 

By the way, I agree with you that it's something that Roku doesn't need, unless I've subscribed to something directly through them. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

My account. What about it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Jump to solution

Did you already create an account with a credit card?  That link was for the initial setup without a credit card.  If you already added one, isn't there an option to remove your payment method?  I've never had a payment method, so I don't know if that's an option or not.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Yes, I helped a friend sign up years ago and don't recall them having to provide payment information.

I'm currently using a smart TV. Of course, I need to provide payment information to service I pay for. But no one else.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

@SukiDog wrote:

My account. What about it?

I'm not sure what you're asking. Once you have a Roku user account, you can access its information at my.roku.com. But if you haven't yet created an account, then there's nothing to access. See the link that @renojim just offered to create a new account without using a CC.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote: I'm not sure what you're asking. Once you have a Roku user account, you can access its information at my.roku.com. But if you haven't yet created an account, then there's nothing to access. See the link that @renojim just offered to create a new account without using a CC.

Sorry, I hit reply to the other person. It it doesn't indicate who I'm replying to by default.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

@SukiDog wrote:

@atc98092 wrote: I'm not sure what you're asking. Once you have a Roku user account, you can access its information at my.roku.com. But if you haven't yet created an account, then there's nothing to access. See the link that @renojim just offered to create a new account without using a CC.

Sorry, I hit reply to the other person. It it doesn't indicate who I'm replying to by default.

Yeah, that's why I always hit the quote button unless I'm responding to the original post. Easy to get lost on some of the larger posts. Smiley Happy

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

@renojim wrote:

Did you already create an account with a credit card?  That link was for the initial setup without a credit card.  If you already added one, isn't there an option to remove your payment method?  I've never had a payment method, so I don't know if that's an option or not.

I guess I'm confused. I was signing up. I provided my information. Then I got to a second page asking me for payment info. And I could not complete that page because i wouldn't enter payment info.

So the question is if i got far enough to create a usable account. (My Roku device is on its way.)

If it did create an account without payment info, that would be great.

0 Kudos