Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pastapvz
Level 7

Payment fees

Hello, I'm writing from Portugal and I'm a Netflix subscriber and was thinking about buying a Roke player in order to use it on a non-Smart TV. My question is, will I have to pay any kind of monthly fee to use Roku?? I already pay for netflix, don't want to pay for another monthly fee Smiley Happy

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Payment fees

"pastapvz" wrote:
Hello, I'm writing from Portugal and I'm a Netflix subscriber and was thinking about buying a Roke player in order to use it on a non-Smart TV. My question is, will I have to pay any kind of monthly fee to use Roku?? I already pay for netflix, don't want to pay for another monthly fee Smiley Happy

Thanks in advance

No.

An issue you could run into is that Roku isn't officially supported there. That means that some app providers (Netflix, etc) may not authorize their services via that device. It doesn't matter if you can get the service via other means (computer, etc), it's up to each individual app developer/owner (such as Netflix) to determine whether or not their services are available. 

There have been reports of Netflix in particular, as well as Amazon and other content services not authorizing their apps to stream in some locations where Roku isn't officially available. That's their call, not Roku's call. Roku doesn't care. But the app owners have that right, and the device only works where the app owners say the apps can work.

That's not to scare you off Roku, just a heads-up that you might encounter this, and if that's a deal-breaker, you will want to be able to return the Roku, so check ahead of time before buying.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
pastapvz
Level 7

Re: Payment fees

"Basil" wrote:
"pastapvz" wrote:

Thanks in advance

No.

An issue you could run into is that Roku isn't officially supported there. That means that some app providers (Netflix, etc) may not authorize their services via that device. It doesn't matter if you can get the service via other means (computer, etc), it's up to each individual app developer/owner (such as Netflix) to determine whether or not their services are available. 

There have been reports of Netflix in particular, as well as Amazon and other content services not authorizing their apps to stream in some locations where Roku isn't officially available. That's their call, not Roku's call. Roku doesn't care. But the app owners have that right, and the device only works where the app owners say the apps can work.

That's not to scare you off Roku, just a heads-up that you might encounter this, and if that's a deal-breaker, you will want to be able to return the Roku, so check ahead of time before buying.

Thank you for the swift answer, it was very enlightening. Will check if Netflix authorize streaming using Roku.
Cheers Smiley Happy
0 Kudos