Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmhenry
Level 7

Panasonic PT-53X54J compatibility

Tv only gets interference type lines. No picture to run set up. This is older CRT 53" without internal tuner. Works fine with cable and satellite. 

Help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 15

Re: Panasonic PT-53X54J compatibility

What model Roku are you using? Model number, not just the name, please. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
mmhenry
Level 7

SKU 3930R seems to be as close to a model# as I can find on the box. 

Express HD

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

@mmhenry wrote:

SKU 3930R seems to be as close to a model# as I can find on the box. 

Express HD

That's it, the latest model of Express. This is just a guess, but your Express doesn't support your TV's resolutions. I downloaded the manual for your TV, and it only supports a digital input of 1080i or 540p. The Express (and all Roku players that don't have a composite out) doesn't support either of those resolutions. There might be a couple of Roku models that will display on a 1080i TV, but I have no information which ones might, and chances are they are older, discontinued models. 

Your only resolution is to find a converter box to convert 1080i to 1080p, but frankly that is probably not worth the cost.  I don't know if any other streaming device that might support 1080i either. I read some info on the FIre TV, but it doesn't appear to support it either.

Your TV also has component in jacks, but the manual isn't clear about what resolution they support. I think it says 540p for them as well, and frankly that would look pretty bad on that size screen, in my opinion. Sorry to say, your TV just isn't up to it. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos