Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GraNor
Reel Rookie

Older tv only has a scart connection

I want to buy a roku to get catch up but my old tv only has scart connections . I am wondering if roku+ stick will work through a HDMI to scart converter ? I am not worried about 4k or HDR as my older tv does not have those anyway.

What concerns me is this review I read :

`This is the streaming stick plus. The plus being that you can stream 4k and 4kHDR. However you need HDCP 2.2 which is a HDMI standard not available on older 4k smart tvs. So in order to use this roku, you need a newer 4k TV which will already have the services embedded as apps on the tv's OS. Therefore, I'm not really sure what the point of this is. My TV is 5yrs old and cost around £2.5k at the time. The apps on the Samsung TV have stop streaming at 4k so I got this but whilst I can play 4k from my laptop to the TV via HDMI, I can't with the roku. Sending back for a refund.`

I dont know therefore if the scart converter will just not work full stop or I just wont get 4k which wouldn`t worry me as  long as I got sound and a picture ok.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Older tv only has a scart connection

I had to look up SCART. I've heard the teem before but didn't really know what it was. The problem I see with using a converter is HDCP support, as you mentioned. HDCP is a required security component of the HDMI signal, and if the converter doesn't support it then the HDMI device will not link up. 

Another potential issue is that your TV might not be wide screen (16:9). That means the converter must also handle converting the aspect ratio correctly. Roku players do not have a 4:3 screen mode available, so everything it outputs is a 16:9 signal. If the converter doesn't handle it correctly, the image will not look accurate, most likely being squished in one direction or stretched in another. 

I just did a quick online search, and noticed something you need to watch for. You will need an HDMI to SCART converter. These appear to be one way devices, so make sure you aren't looking at at SCART to HDMI, as that's the wrong direction. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

The review you quoted doesn't actually mention SCART, and it really seems unlikely to me that a 4K TV that is only 5 years old (mentioned in the quote) would have had a SCART connector.  (Wikipedia says that SCART was an analog standard going back to the mid 1970s. Like @atc98092, I had to look it up.)  I think that reviewer had an entirely different issue with HDCP levels on much more modern connections. 

I think whether you can get this working will depend entirely on the quality and capabilities of whatever adapter you get.

0 Kudos
GraNor
Reel Rookie

I must admit although grateful for the replies they have made me feel as I am living in the dark ages. My tv is not that old  I bought it in 2000 it is a panasonic and still going well and nothing wrong with it and I cant afford to but a new one. Im a bit flabergasted people had to look up what scart meant and my wife thinks its all very funny .

Anyway@ ATC thankyou for mentioning about the converters only working one way I did know this and understand I need a HDMI to scart not the other way but thanks for checking.

@strega , the reason i posted the review was not because they had a scart socket I knew they had hdmi but i was concerned that may be a hdmi to scart converter would not carry the codec or what ever was needed if even a or some HDMI sockets were not caperble.

I would say again I am not bothered at all about dolby , hdr or 4k as my tv doesnt have that anyway , im not looking to upscale just the ability to get catch up.

Oh and @atc98092 my tv does do 16:9 widescreen as well again thanks for mentioning it

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Well, if your TV is 21 years old and still doing well, that's fantastic. Happy to hear. Also good it's 16:9, as that greatly improves your chances of an adapter working. It would appear that the HDCP issue might be the only roadblock. All I can say is to try some, preferably from a seller that has a decent return policy if it doesn't work correctly. Good luck!

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos

I "think" I read somewhere, some of the cheap HDMI splitters remover the codec . you would need to check that though

0 Kudos