Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old TV with cable box which has HMDI port

I have an older TV and am using Spectrum for internet and cable.  The cable box has an HDMI port.  I purchased a Roku Streaming Stick+.  Can I use the HDMI port on the cable box for the stick?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Old TV with cable box which has HMDI port

@HartwellForest wrote:

I have an older TV and am using Spectrum for internet and cable.  The cable box has an HDMI port.  I purchased a Roku Streaming Stick+.  Can I use the HDMI port on the cable box for the stick?

The HDMI plug on the Streaming Stick+ is output only, to be connected to an HDMI input on a tv.  I suspect the HDMI port on the cable box is the same, output only, except it will require an HDMI cable to connect to an HDMI port on the tv. 

It sounds like you hope to plug the Roku into the cable box, and have the Roku signal transmitted through the cable box to the tv through whatever connection it makes to the tv.   Unless the cable box HDMI port can accept INPUT it won't do what you want.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
MilesT
Roku Guru

Re: Old TV with cable box which has HMDI port

Furthermore...the world has almost universally moved to using HDMI as a standard. If the TV does not have HDMI then not much new stuff will work with it. You can get HDMI to ... adapters but these won't always work because HDMI has anti-copy measures built into it...the sending device (Roku) will check if receiving (TV) supports certain copy protection standards and sending will refuse to show video if TV doesn't connect back down the cable to say "I'm a TV, no copying possible, safe to show video).  Adapters can't do that handshake.

Not a Roku employee