Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oblueeyes
Level 7

Old TV Support

I have a Vizio TV that is about 10 years old. . . maybe a little older. When I try to connect it to a new Roku, I get a message that my TV is not supported. Is there a newer device that does support older TVs?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
andyross
Level 11

Re: Old TV Support

How are you connecting it? If HDMI, it's possible that TV doesn't support HDCP, which is an encryption protocol (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection.)

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 12

When programming the tv, make sure the roku remote can see the roku as well as the front of the tv If you can't get it to work using vizio codes, tell it you have LG tv brand, they use the same IR code set.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

@oblueeyes wrote:

I have a Vizio TV that is about 10 years old. . . maybe a little older. When I try to connect it to a new Roku, I get a message that my TV is not supported. Is there a newer device that does support older TVs?

Could you provide some additional detail? What do you mean by "when you try to a new Roku..."? When connecting the HDMI cable? Can it not be connected to the TV, or does it connect but nothing is seen on the screen? Or is it a problem connecting the remote to control the TV? 

If it's the first issue, that the Roku is connected via HDMI but nothing is visible on the screen, it's possible that your TV does not support 1080p or 720p. Many early HDTVs only supported 480p or 1080i. Unfortunately, no current Roku model supports these resolutions over HDMI. The older Express+ has analog connections which offer 480i analog output, which your TV should support via analog connections (red, white and yellow RCA connections). But of course that isn't an HD image. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
oblueeyes
Level 7

I am connecting with an HDMI cable that I have been using with my Roku 1. It works fine except it is very slow. 

0 Kudos
oblueeyes
Level 7

I am not able to do anything with the new Roku. The old works fine except very slow. I am not given any options. It goes straight to a screen that says my device is not supported. . . . nothing else. 

0 Kudos
oblueeyes
Level 7

I have been using an older model Roku 1 and it works but is painfully slow. When I connect the new device via HDMI, I am given no options. The only thing I am able to see is a message stating that my device is not supported. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

OK, that kind of nails it down. Your TV doesn't support 1080p or 720p. It does support 1080i. Some of the older devices supported 1080i, so it worked on your set. I'm afraid there are no options for you to connect a new Roku with HDMI and have an HD image. The Roku Express+ has analog connections that you can use on your TV, but you won't get an HD image. I don't think any other player on the market supports 1080i either, although I could be mistaken about that.

Sorry, but there's no way to make your Roku work on that TV without adding a video converter inline, and I would expect that to be expensive. Just doing a quick look at Amazon, I do see some 1080p to component out for as little as $20, but I know from other users posting here that converters are hit or miss working with a Roku. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos