Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tosh9i
Level 8

Old Sony Bravia not recognizing Roku

Jump to solution

I just purchased a Roku Streaming Stick 4K 2021. I have a 14 year old Sony Bravia KDL-26S3000. It does have HDMI and I used to use it with my computer. I decided to give the tv to my mom and the roku stick as early Christmas present. Here's the thing, I followed the instructions and plugged it into the HDMI port, and nothing happened. I went to Sony's HDMI settings menu, and when I selected Update, it said that it didn't detect any devices (Note: my computer isn't connected to it, only the roku stick). So, how do I get my Sony TV to recognize the Roku Stick?

Should I do a Factory Reset with my TV?

PS: I contacted Sony Customer Support, and this is what they said: "I have checked my resources and would like to inform you that as this model TV is a non-android TV, non-4K TV, 4K Roku wouldn't work with it."

However, I read that Roku would work with any TV with an HDMI port.

Note: I have the Roku stick plugged into a working wall outlet. 

Note 2: I know the Roku stick works because I plugged it into my new Onn tv and it was recognized immediately.

Note 3: I made sure that everything is firmly plugged in.

Update: I think I have partial explanation as to why the Roku stick didn't work with my Sony TV.  Since my TV is so old...before 4K, it didn't recognize the Roku 4k Stick.

I chatted with another Sony Rep who said, "The reason your TV doesn't recognizes the Roku is because as your TV doesn't support 4k devices and you have 4k Roku stick. "

So, either I return this 4K stick and purchase Roku Express or I figure out a way to for my Sony to see this Roku as just a HD.  I'm going to try and change the resolution to 720p. I'll let you know what happens.

Update 2: Well, changing the resolution to 720p didn't make a difference.  I guess it time to return this and downgrade to Roku Express.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tosh9i
Level 8

Re: Old Sony Bravia not recognizing Roku

Jump to solution

Well, I finally got my Roku LE HD working with my Sony Bravia by resetting my TV.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5\
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

All 4k Roku devices should work with any HDTV.  The only possible problem I can think of with a very old TV is HDCP (copy protection), but even without support I would think the TV should at least show the startup animation.  If the 4k stick doesn't work with that TV then I don't know if any other Roku device would either.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
tosh9i
Level 8

Jump to solution

Well, I just got an Roku LE HD Streaming Player.  However, my old Sony TV did not detect that either. 

I received an email from Roku Support suggestion that I try using an HDMI Extender, so I'll give that a try and let you know.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

If the Roku LE also doesn't work then I doubt the extender will help with the stick.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
tosh9i
Level 8

Jump to solution

Would Amazon's Fire Stick do the trick?  If not, then I've alson been looking into hdmi to component adapters like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Composite-Adapter-Supports-Charge/dp/B08D7542PP/ref=sr_1_22_sspa?cr...

0 Kudos
tosh9i
Level 8

Jump to solution

Well, I finally got my Roku LE HD working with my Sony Bravia by resetting my TV.

0 Kudos