Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not working Roku express brand new

I just bought a Roku express from walamrt and when I am starting it up it keeps going to the purple Roku screen. It sometimes lets me type in my wifi code but that is as far as it lets me go without kicking me back to the purple screen. 
I have tried to reboot and hold reset for 30 seconds. 
I have rebooted router. 
I have plugged in new cords and hdmi.

I have plugged cord into tv and wall. What am I doing wrong is my product defected? Returning is not an option as i have moved into new house and threw box away in process.. 

HELP MEEE

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Not working Roku express brand new

@DaltonV1091 

It may be that the device is bad, but before you start a return process (you'll need your receipts) let's try one thing you didn't mention.

With power applied, press and hold the RESET button for no less than 30 seconds. That will do a Factory Reset. Less than 30 seconds may not fully do the factory reset.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Jhill332
Reel Rookie

Ok where the H$)( is the reset button?????????????

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Jhill332 

Some models have a physical raised button. Others have pinhole. Either should be labeled "Reset"

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Jhill332
Reel Rookie

So I contact Roku and I’m really talking to a third-party contractor that one 6999 to help me they say they’re reestablishing or updating my account for that 6999 what kind of bull**bleep** is this

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Jhill332 

Be careful dealing with third party contractors.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
Jhill332
Reel Rookie

I hung up on them we are in direct contact w Roku waiting to hear back …… but once you buy the device they are no charges to keep account active? Right?

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Jhill332 

Absolutely not. Roku doesn't charge for using a device or having an account. The only thing Roku would bill you for would be purchasing apps (rare) or subscribing to a service through Roku. However, you can subscribe directly and pay them. For example, you can subscribe to Netflix through Roku. You would pay Roku, and use Netflix only through Roku. Or, you could subscribe to Netflix directly, paying Netflix, not Roku. That kind of thing.

If anyone tries to sell you Roku accounts, it's a scammer.

DBDukes

0 Kudos