Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SharonH
Level 7

Not even Roku Channel will load!

Brand new Streaming stick.  Update completed. This is my third Roku. I usually love it, but I’m wondering if I got a dud.  Remote is extremely slow or hangs up entirely. 

It didn’t load my channels from the cloud.  I’m having to do them one by one. They say they downloaded but when I click on them it starts to open, then boots me out.  I’ve done a soft reset and a hard reset. Any suggestions?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Chicken
Level 7

Re: Not even Roku Channel will load!

I've noticed if my internet connection is spotty, the Roku spends a lot of time retrying and this leaves the remote response hangy.  What were the results of your Settings -> Network -> Check Connection?  It might help to reposition the router and Roku closer together or even try another router if possible.  Switch to 5GHz or 2,5GHz, maybe there's some local interference?

Sounds like an issue with communicating with the internet, to me.
0 Kudos
SharonH
Level 7

Can’t move router.  I put an extender nearby, showing four “bars”. Channels don’t even look like they’re attempting to load. Opens/closes within 2 seconds. 
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Agree with Chicken, it sounds like wireless interference. One easy thing to try is changing your WiFi channel in your router, and if it's a 5 GHz router make sure you're using that band. I use different SSIDs for my 2.4 and 5 GHz access points, so I always know exactly which box and which band I'm connecting to. Also, sometimes a router can be too close to a device, so a little scooch in a different direction might help. The wavelength size for eaither band is quite small, so it doesn't take much of a move to make a difference. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

"SharonH" wrote:
Can’t move router.  I put an extender nearby, showing four “bars”. Channels don’t even look like they’re attempting to load. Opens/closes within 2 seconds. 

But doesn't the ROKU report online status?  Is it a repeater or extender?  Turn off the extender and see what happens, once the Roku times out you should be able to navigate the menus smoothly.
Move the ROKU closer to the router at least for setup and testing, to eliminate any issues with the extender and get a good WIFI signal establishedm full handshake needs to take place.  I've had problems with some models of routers (extenders too) where some devices are incompatible, something about the software or settings of the router causing failure and refusing connection.  In these cases I've had to switch to another model/brand of router, I never found an explanation for the exact reason.
0 Kudos
SharonH
Level 7

Thanks for suggestions - will try this afternoon. 
0 Kudos
SharonH
Level 7

So I unplugged extender, moved everything away from router as much as possible (a few inches), moved tv close to router and went through the setup process again.  Signal strength excellent, channel 6.  Everything worked fine. 

Moved everything back into original room. Remote barely functions. Nothing will load. 
Wireless connection good
Internet download speed is poor

Other than router address I know nothing about them.

Is there a way to boost the signal to that room? I thought that was the purpose of the extender? Nothing else has problems in that room (phones or chromecast)
0 Kudos
SharonH
Level 7

Like a dummy, the only thing I hadn’t tried was a factory reset of the extender.  Reset, and now everything is working.  Thank you for the help and guiding a technically inept boomer in the right direction. Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

I'm a boomer too, but I did my stint in the tech industry.  Nice work, glad you trudged through it.
0 Kudos