Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TalonStrike
Level 7

Not being prompted to enter my Password or PIN to use the device

I have set up a password and PIN for my Roku account, but when I use my Roku device, I am not prompted to enter either of them. If someone were to steal my Roku device, what would prevent them from accessing my device, the accounts for my apps, and making purchases with my saved payment methods?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
StreamerUser
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Not being prompted to enter my Password or PIN to use the device

https://support.roku.com/article/360000049048

Why was a purchase allowed without my Roku account PIN (Personal Identification Number)?

Background

When you set up Roku Pay by linking a payment method to your Roku account, you can purchase subscriptions for channels and services available through the Channel Store, add Premium Subscriptions on The Roku Channel, rent or buy movies and TV shows, and purchase Roku device upgrades, offers, and accessories. However, you can create a PIN (Personal Identification Number) to prevent unauthorized users in your home from making purchases and to set ratings-based playback restrictions for content on The Roku Channel. Once a PIN has been created, it must be entered to authorize any transaction, and must be entered once per session if configured for ratings restrictions on The Roku Channel.

Does my Roku account PIN protect against unauthorized purchases on all channels?

No. Once you create a PIN for your Roku account, only purchases made from the Roku Channel Store or from channels that are billed to your Roku account are protected. Purchases made from channels that bill you directly (e.g., VUDU, Prime Video) are not protected by your Roku account PIN.

However, many of these channels offer a way independent of your Roku account PIN to protect you from unauthorized purchases. If you need more help after following the link below, contact the channel provider directly.

StreamerUser
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
makaiguy
Level 21

There is no option to require a PIN just to use the Roku.

You CAN log into your account at https://my.roku.com and choose the available options for when the PIN will be required, including making purchases. It can also be used for parental control for access to content in The Roku Channel.

While there, scroll down on the main page to your list of linked devices. If you sell or lose a device you can unlink it from your account there.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
TalonStrike
Level 7

Wow there is no security on this device, and the Roku customer support was very bad.

0 Kudos