Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Non- HDMI TV question

I have an old TV in a room I just started using again & wanted to put a Roku on it. It's an Apex AVL2776. 

I purchased a Roku Express which I assumed was the version for TV's without HDMI. I purchased a YPbPr to HDMI Converter Adapter since I saw that's what was on back of the TV. 

I connected it last night & getting nothing but a blue screen still.  I can't tell if it's an issue with the TV or the Roku not working or do I need a RCA to HDMI converter instead?

Thank you & hope I can get some answers on here.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Non- HDMI TV question

Do you have a link to the converter you got?  You want an HDMI input to YPbPr output converter, not the other way around.  Some go both ways.  Since your TV has a DVI input, you should probably use an HDMI-to-DVI converter with audio outputs.  Something like this may work (there's never guarantees with this stuff).  That's just one example.  There are others.

By the way, it was the 2018 Express+ that was for TVs with no HDMI inputs.  It's no longer made and no current device has analog outputs.  You could use any current device with the proper HDMI converter.

Highlighted
Level 8

This is a link to the converter I purchased. After checking your link, I feel I may have bought the wrong one. 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q22DBDK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

I really appreciate any help I can get, this is frustrating. I was going to return the adapter & the Roku back to Amazon out of frustrations but I figured I'd ask around before I do.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Yeah, sorry, that one goes the wrong way.  It's for connecting an old device like a DVD player to a TV that only has HDMI inputs.

Highlighted
Level 8

Thanks again, I'll order that now!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have a TV also without an HDMI port. Where could I pick up an older Roku model that connects with the tri-color cord?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I purchased Roku Express thinking it was the one for the non-HDMI version, but that's the Express+ which I'm reading was retired/discontinued. But, as someone helped me out here, you can buy any of the models & use This converter. 

I'm waiting for the converter to arrive today, I'll post an update if it worked or not. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

The adapter Renojim recommended didn't work. My TV has "female" RCA parts. (I think that's how it's referred to as) & so did the adapter. I need a "male" version. I think instead of banging my head against the wall with returning adapters I'm just going to buy the Express+ with the RCA parts included. 

Before I do return the Express unit I have, I might attempt buying one more adapter for another spare room TV. LOL I hate giving up so easily, I just don't like returning stuff so often.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Well, you do need the proper cables.  Do you have the DVI cable?  That's the harder one to find.  The audio cables are ubiquitous.  If you've ever connected a VCR or CD player to anything you should have some lying around.

0 Kudos