Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KirstynnAnn
Reel Rookie

Re: No setup screen

So I am a dumb dumb lol my HDMI cord just fell out. I plugged it back in and it worked. All good now! 

0 Kudos
jmonst22

Hello, I am having the same issue. I’ve been just plugged in and set up a new Roku Express, but all I see is a black screen with “roku” on it. It is plugged into the outlet and into the tv. Please can you help me as well? Thank you. @RokuDanny-R 

0 Kudos
jmonst22

Never mind! I followed your other tips and tried plugging it into the TV instead of the wall outlet. This problem solved, now onto the next one.

0 Kudos
eyesopen7531
Reel Rookie

Hi. I've done everything on the Roku instructions I got with the Roku that I bought. I've done the instructions 8 times now.

I bought a Roku Streaming Stick+ last Black Friday, with the voice remote feature, for about $30. I plugged the Streaming Stick properly in my HDMI port. I used the free HDMI extender cable that I ordered from Roku. I used the Roku USB power extender cable power adapter and connected my Streaming Stick to a surge protector which plugs to a wall outlet. Other stuff are using the surge protector, like a paper shredder machine, and the other stuff work, so the surge protector can't be causing any problems.

I see a blue light, not a red light blinking on the Streaming Stick. I select the proper TV input, and I see that it is correctly matched to the connected input on the Streaming Stick. I absolutely, completely cannot get a On Screen Setup on my TV screen. I am very, very frustrated with Roku because I exactly followed the instructions and Roku won't work on the TV. My hard earned $30, yes it's only $30, but it's $30 of hard earned money on a product that isn't working. I don't spend money for stuff that don't work. I don't want to test the Roku on another TV because I want it on that TV, which is the big screen TV. I only have 1 big screen TV, so I don't care that it may work on my puny 2nd TV, which is only 20 inch, I want it to work on my big screen TV. I really appreciate it if someone can help me. One last bit of info, my big screen TV is old. It's a Sony Bravia from 2006.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

You need to test the stick on another TV.  There's no sense wasting any time on it if it doesn't work on two different TVs.  Also, try it without the HDMI extender cable.  If you're not willing to perform minimal troubleshooting then there's no sense in asking for help.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
eyesopen7531
Reel Rookie

Well, I'll test it on another tv, since I ask for help here and that's an answer I'm getting.  I think it's pointless to try it on another tv, that's my thought, not your thought, but you say to do it, and so I'll do it out only so I can have this problem solved. 

I had explained in my post why I didn't want to try it on another tv, I said a reasonable reason why I don't want to, but per your advice, I'll put the roku into another tv to see if it works there.  The HDMI extender cable, I think I really need to use it.  The streaming stick is extremely long in length, or the space where it is fitting, the width of the space between the HDMI port and the area opposite it, is extremely small in length.  I felt that I had to bend or twist the streaming stock for it to remain inserted in the HDMI port, so roku saying in their instructions that the roku isn't fitting, so use an extender did help with making the roku fit better to my tv. 

I had said in my post I've gone through the instructions 8 times already.  That is also including troubleshooting at each instruction through 8 times of doing the instructions if I did each instruction exactly as it says, and what I'm supposed to see when I’ve done the instruction, like seeing a blue light rather than a red light.  I also went to go.roku.com which is a website listed in the instructions, which ended up telling me that to pay an additional $40 for them to give me maintenance to solve my problem.  I hadn't heard that there are additional costs to a roku product other than the product cost itself, that seems like bait and switch, so I didn’t go through the maintenance and pay more money.  I've also spent a week googling many, many, many questions to try to get an answer that matches my problem.  I also did my best to read a good bit of this roku forum to try to get an answer on my own.  So you are completely wrong that I didn't try to do any troubleshooting at all, I did a big amount for a product whose issues seems to be solved by posting onto a forum and not providing a customer phone support for a product they bought.

0 Kudos
renojim

@eyesopen7531 wrote:

I also went to go.roku.com which is a website listed in the instructions, which ended up telling me that to pay an additional $40 for them to give me maintenance to solve my problem.  I hadn't heard that there are additional costs to a roku product other than the product cost itself, that seems like bait and switch, so I didn’t go through the maintenance and pay more money.

You did not go to go.roku.com - you searched for it (browser makers have done everyone a great disservice by forcing searches from the address bar) and were taken to a scam website.  There is no paid maintenance offered by Roku.  Please take my advice.  I can probably not only solve your problem but also steer you away from scams.  Once you prove that the stick works at all we can then tackle the problem of why it's not working in your desired TV.

0 Kudos
Lauren46

No setup screen appears after following setup guide. Twice.

I am having the same issue with  my new Roku. We followed the Quick Guide instructions to connect our TV (Samsung, but not a smart TV; we understood we didn't need a smart TV). The streaming player has a flashing blue light, but the setup screen never appeared. We started over, reconnecting everything. Selected the correct HDMI port on the TC remote. Still no setup screen. 

0 Kudos
renojim

Re: No setup screen appears after following setup guide. Twice.

@Lauren46, do you have another TV you can try it on?  Have you ever connected anything to that TV before?  Is your Roku device a stick that plugs directly into the TV or does it use an HDMI cable or better yet, what's the model number written somewhere on the device?

If you can locate the reset button, press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds with the power connected.

0 Kudos
Stu72
Channel Surfer

Re: No setup screen appears after following setup guide. Twice.

Same here brand new, done all that's been said, reset, power off, unplugged,other TV ..... Seems alot if wasted time and money for something promoted as so easy 

0 Kudos