Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Magyar1964
Level 7

No link code sent to my tv

Jump to solution

I've had a Roku Express for a few years and it works fine. I don't remember having to setup any kind of account when I connected it to the internet. I recently set up an account on Roku.com and when I click on the link to activate a device it says to enter the code on the tv screen but there isn't any code on my tv screen.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: No link code sent to my tv

Jump to solution

@Magyar1964 

Thanks for the post.

If the email address in Account settings is not yours, I am wary of how you setup your device. 

We would recommend first and foremost performing a factory reset on your device to set it up new again and link it to your Roku account that you have created. For more information about how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

If you had any subscriptions that were linked to this unknown account, we would recommend you reach out to our Support team to make sure you are taken care of. Please reach out to our support team directly here for your 'Account or billing' issue, here: https://support.roku.com/contactus. They will be able further assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

18 Replies
renojim
Level 21

Jump to solution

Are you trying to link the Roku Express that you've had for a few years to the account you just created?  If so, you'll need to factory reset the Express.  You can see what account it's currently linked to by going into Settings->System->About.  The email address shown there is the account.

0 Kudos
Magyar1964
Level 7

Jump to solution

Ok, thanks.

The email in settings is one I've never seen and didn't enter

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Magyar1964 

Thanks for the post.

If the email address in Account settings is not yours, I am wary of how you setup your device. 

We would recommend first and foremost performing a factory reset on your device to set it up new again and link it to your Roku account that you have created. For more information about how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

If you had any subscriptions that were linked to this unknown account, we would recommend you reach out to our Support team to make sure you are taken care of. Please reach out to our support team directly here for your 'Account or billing' issue, here: https://support.roku.com/contactus. They will be able further assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

ChipaElGordo
Level 7

Jump to solution

Is there any way to get the code without a factory reset? 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@ChipaElGordo 

Thanks for the inquiry.

If you were setting up your Roku device or TV, then factory resetting is the easiest way to receive another link code. When trying to perform a factory reset, please make sure to press and hold down the reset button for at least 30 seconds regardless of what is happening on the screen.

For more information about how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I received one email with an activation link, but did not receive a link code on my tv.  I've done 3 factory resets and received a new activation link, but still don't have a link code on my tv.  The tv keeps returning to the "account activation link sent to . . . " screen. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

Jump to solution

I've never seen the email activation method, but I believe you get one or the other - a link code displayed on your screen or the screen you're seeing (which as I said I've never seen).  What's in the email?  Doesn't it give you a website link to visit?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Anonymous 

Thanks for the inquiry.

If you received an activation link through email, you will not receive a code on your TV. We would recommend following the instructions outlined in the activation email to activate your Roku device.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
SimoneCampbell
Level 7

No activation code displayed on TV after factory reset on Roku Express

Jump to solution

No problem getting the email as described by the doc but we get no activation code after performing a factory reset on the Roku Express.  We get to the website for the code on the phone but the TV never gets the activation code.  This was all working before the factory reset.   Thanks for you help. 

0 Kudos