Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hedgehogvt

No activation upon startup.

We purchased a Roku Express  and followed the instructions for start up. It came right up to the Home Screen, it never went through a setup or activation. It recognizes our remote and it has connected to our wifi but it never asked for an email address, we never got an activation code or PIN setup. Although I have a Roku account, it says no  device is connected. I was wondering if it was possible that this Roku had been previously purchased, activated and then returned to the store? 

Regardless, we have tried a factory reset by holding in the reset button for 30 seconds. It didn't make any difference. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I've spent 2 hours trying to figure this out.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: No activation upon startup.

From the home page on your Roku: Settings > System > About.  The email address shown is the one associated with the Roku account to which it is linked. 

If the address is not yours, which it shouldn't be since you say you didn't enter one, this means the Roku had already been set up then returned to the store where it was sold again as new.

You were on the right track when attempting a Factory reset.  Factory reset is accessed from the Roku home screen via Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Factory reset.  (It can also be done by holding the reset button in for no less than 30 seconds - I'd suggest going 40 seconds just to be sure.)  Either way should clear out the unit's memory and you can set it up again as though it were a new unit right out of the box.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Bradders1

I've tried to set up with my email get to the send part and no email sent,I've tried different  email addresses I done a factory reset I've powered it off and on again  I even open up an account using the email that I'm requesting the code and got a Confirmation with that Internet is good & connected any help or suggestions out there, please note I do Che k my spam in box as well  

Bradley 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hello @Bradders1

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. 

Please reply here with the serial number of the affected Roku device. It can be found at the back or underneath the player itself.

Once we have the information needed, we'll be able to forward it to our support team for further assistance.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos