Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

No USB ports in my TV

Jump to solution

Hi,

I've bought the device and realised I have no USB ports in my TV at all to plug it in. i've plugged the HDMI cable in and do actually have 2 spare HDMI leads, if I was to buy an adaptor, would this work?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: No USB ports in my TV

Jump to solution

@Naulls07 wrote:

Hi,

I've bought the device and realized I have no USB ports in my TV at all to plug it in. I've plugged the HDMI cable in and do actually have 2 spare HDMI leads, if I was to buy an adapter, would this work?

Thanks

USB is only used for power. Just use the power adapter that was included with the Roku and connect it directly to a wall outlet for power. HDMI ports do not provide power to external devices, so the power connection is necessary. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: No USB ports in my TV

Jump to solution

@Naulls07 wrote:

Hi,

I've bought the device and realized I have no USB ports in my TV at all to plug it in. I've plugged the HDMI cable in and do actually have 2 spare HDMI leads, if I was to buy an adapter, would this work?

Thanks

USB is only used for power. Just use the power adapter that was included with the Roku and connect it directly to a wall outlet for power. HDMI ports do not provide power to external devices, so the power connection is necessary. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos