Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

No Picture

I got a Roku Express after I hooked up the HDMI and plugged it into the wall the Roku logo popped up and flashed looking extremely grainy. After that the screen went black and I do not see any setup options.  I've searched online I've tried everything from trying to reset it. Although it's brand new I don't know why it would need to be rest. I've even gone back to the store and exchanged one thinking it was broken and this one is doing the exact same thing. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: No Picture

@Southerland93 

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried using another HDMI input on your TV as well as switching out the HDMI cable used to connect the Roku device?

For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried plugging in your Roku device to another TV to see if you are experiencing the same issue?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Yes I've changed the hdmi cables and put them in different HDMI slots and I get the same thing. I hooked it up on the living room TV and ran through the set up. When I moved it back to the TV I want it on everything is grainy. Really bad. I tried changing the resolution and I got options for 4:3 and 16:9 I couldn't get 1080 or 720 so I factory reset it and again I got the boot logo and a black screen. So again had to do the set up on a different TV and move it back to the TV I want it on. And again everything is so grainy and horrible picture quality. I finally got an option for 1080 and 720 but nothing changed sure the selection did but it looks no different and is just a horrible screen. I've had my fire stick hooked up to this TV and got HD quality. But I'm not getting that with a Roku. I would be happy to get at least 720 but I'm not even getting that. Just a grainy and distorted screen. I had to factory reset it yet again because none of the apps would stay open. Every single app I downloaded would close after 5 minutes. And I mean every app. Not a few. But every. But after factory resetting it for the 3rd time the apps aren't closing. But I'm still dealing with the issue that the video quality is absolutely horrible. I'm giving this a chance hoping someone is able to help me before I end up returning this thing and getting another fire stick

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Check to see if there's any updates for your TV's software/firmware.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I just checked and there is not. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Southerland93 

Thanks for the update.

If you are still not able to resolve the issue, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number/device ID on the Roku device along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Pm sent

0 Kudos