Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

No Media Device Message

Jump to solution

My Element TV (Model # ELEFW195) has one HDMI port and the cable box is connected to it. Can I use a split HDMI connector to connect the cable box and the Roku at the same time? Will it allow me to switch between the two?

I've tried connecting the Roku with the USB power cable and adaptor to the wall outlet and connecting the USB power cable to the USB port on the TV. Nothing works, I get the message "No Media Device"
What is the fix for this problem?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: No Media Device Message

Jump to solution

@brejack1 wrote:

Ok, I will try this.  Will it work on Roku Express?

It should.  First I'd connect it instead of the cable box to your sole HDMI port and get everything working, THEN set up the switch.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Jump to solution
You need an HDMI *SWITCH*, not a splitter. You connect the HDMI outputs for both Cable box and Roku to the switch inputs and the tv HDMI port to the switch output. You can then select which input you want via the switch.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thank You. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Jump to solution

@brejack1 wrote:

It should.  First I'd connect it instead of the cable box to your sole HDMI port and get everything working, THEN set up the switch.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

This solution works perfectly. 

My only question is why does the Roku Express feel warm to the touch all the time?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@brejack1 

It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.

For more information visit our Support page here: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hello RokuDanny,

This new setup of Roku Express+ had started working (just one day), and suddenly when I turned on the tv, the "No Media Device" error message began. 

I have tried the shutting off, reinitializing, but nothing seems to work. 

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@rejvcap 

Thanks for the inquiry.

How is your device being powered? Is it plugged into the TV USB port or into the wall with the provided cables and adapter? Have you also tried plugging the device into another HDMI port as well as switching out the HDMI cable used to connect the device?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos