Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stewartandr
Level 7

No Immediate Picture / Roku Logo Upon Setup

I recently purchased a Roku Express and connected it to my TV as discussed. Checked all wire connections, power chords, etc. and tried both HDMI inputs. Light is on on the Roku and the TV is on, with the input set to the HDMI it is plugged into, but no Roku logo or menu ever pops up. Tried resetting the Roku as well but no change. Any help would be very much appreciated as I can't get a hold of Roku and at a bit of a loss for what to do

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AvsGunnar
Level 10

Re: No Immediate Picture / Roku Logo Upon Setup

Do you have anything else you can plug into that HDMI port to eliminate the Express as culprit and confirm the TV is configured properly. (ie. can you get a signal from a laptop, a gaming console, etc)

Also, what kind of television?

0 Kudos
stewartandr
Level 7

Thank you for the reply! 

Hmm, don't really have anything else as we have tablets, a desktop and then our other tvs are full blow smart tvs. The roku does have the blue light on and I have reset it.

As for the type of TV - I was thinking that as well since it is an old TV - it is a a Panasonic Plasma HDTV, model number is TC-P42C2

Thanks again for the help!

Andrew

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Level 10

Normally, as you toggle through the various inputs on your tv via your tv remote or the buttons on your tv, the HDMI conection  should be automatically detected when you plugged in the Express to your TV.

Just for troubleshooting....and in order to eliminate the basics...(can you see antenna TV channels?)

When you go to your Input Screen (or using Remote, are you seeing both HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 as an option?  Are they labeled or showing or a connection?  Looks like you may have to enable them.

Are you pretty familiar with this TV?  Looking at manual which I can send you a link to.  Just don't want to go over your head, or talk too simplistic if you know how to use the tv already.

Here are 2 links to go through.  The first is Roku's simple troubleshooting.  The second is your TV's manual.

See if these two resources help and troubleshoot.  Then post back with what you did so we know what to eliminate.  If tv is working, you are probably just a simple setting away from getting this to work.

What should I do if I cannot see the video from my Roku® streaming player on my TV?

https://support.roku.com/article/208755458

https://data2.manualslib.com/pdf3/75/7427/742664-panasonic/viera_tcp42c2.pdf?4ae6894ce3fcbad012240b8...

0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

Any "full blown smart TV" should also have an HDMI input to which you could connect the Roku.

0 Kudos
stewartandr
Level 7

Thanks Avs - no, more simplistic is good for me =). Some answers to your questions are below, and thank you again for your help!!

- Given it isn't a smart tv, I don't have cable and no actual antenna the regular channels are just white fuzziness, as would be expected.

- On the input screen, yes, there is HDMI 1 and 2, have tried both with connecting. They are not labeled other than HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 - does that answer the question? 

- Went through Roku's troubleshooting - that didn't work 

- What would be the setting changes I should make ?

Really appreciate the help here!

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Level 10

@renojim was indicating, you can test if the Express is functioning properly by moving it over to one of your smart TVs and hooking it up to one of their HDMI ports.  If the Express works fine on your other TV (we can get a picture, etc) then we know it is either your non-smart TV or a setting in the non-smart TV.  We just have to rule out a defective Express device.  You can still use your Express on your smartTV (here we will just be using it for testing purposes to see if it loads to the Home Screen of Roku.) 

Also, just want to make sure you are plugging the Express power cord into a wall outlet, not into the TV itself.  Not all USB ports on TVs, especially older ones, can sufficiently power the stand-alone Roku players.

stewartandr
Level 7

All,

Thank you for the help - my set up on the other television is not such that I can plug in the Roku - it is set up against the wall flat, is very heavy and is 100% streaming - should I simply return the Roku since it doesn't work with my TV or what would you recommend as the next steps? Thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Level 10

If you can't test the Express unit on another television, then you are basically left with Factory Resetting the Express unit. (while connected to power, using paperclip in the pinhole in back of unit, press and hold for 30+ seconds.)  

If you still can't get your Express to at least boot, then you may a defective unit or a defective power supply.  If you are currently plugging the USB into your TV for power, use the power adapter supplied with the Express and plug directly into the wall. Look for a blue light on the Express indicating power.  If the blue light is not showing, then it is a power issue.  Either the power supply or the Express unit itself is the culprit. You can try using another power adapter (most cell phone chargers with the USB port, as long as rated 5Volt, 1Amp should work)

If you are seeing a blue light, indicates the Roku is at least getting power (maybe not sufficient power, but at least power), and may just be a matter of you selecting the correct HDMI input from your TV Menu Settings or your TV Remote (not the Roku Remote) in order to see the Roku Screen.

If none of this helps, I would probably suggest returning it for another unit.  If reoccurs with second unit, then it is somewhere inside TV settings which is addressed in that link to your TV manual I provided.

Good luck and post back with an update.

0 Kudos