Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NewsView
Streaming Star

Re: No email for activation

Jump to solution

I sent two private messages but didn't get anything other than a comment from the moderator that my issue was forwarded to support (but support did not follow up). Then I did a chat and the only suggestion was to use an alternate email address.

There is a solution elsewhere in the ROKU forums where someone figured out how to "trick" a new ROKU into activating. Don't ask me how this works, I just know that it finally did the trick for me:

First, set up a hot spot on your cell phone.

Second, during the ROKU setup when you enter the wireless network, configure it to use the hot spot (not your home wireless network).

Third, once you get to the screen where it says you will receive an activation link via email, turn off the hot spot. Wait about a minute and turn the hot spot back on.

Fourth, a screen on the ROKU should prompt you to "try again" or activate via link. Select activate by link. Enter the code that appears on your ROKU screen onto ROKU.com/link. (Warning: If at any point you are asked to call a number or pay money to activate a ROKU, it is a scam.)

Fifth and finally, after the ROKU activates, enter the ROKU settings and update it to use your home WiFi network.

As a side note, I would be curious to know how many existing ROKU account holders who are reporting the same problem with a no-show activation emails are using Spectrum Internet? Spectrum is currently in a dispute with ROKU over the Spectrum app, which as I understand has been pulled from the ROKU platform. I don't know if this is plausible but it may be that this hot-spot workaround succeeds because it keeps the ISP from blocking outbound ROKU device requests for activation emails. (One would hope that ROKU's competitors would not be so malicious but without net neutrality, anything is possible.)

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Not sending activation email

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

If you are still unable to retrieve an activation email to finish activating your Roku device, please send me a PM (private message) with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number/device ID on the Roku device along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
threeamigos
Reel Rookie

Re: Not sending activation email

Jump to solution

I had been trying with a hotmail account. I set up an account online and still had no luck. When we put in a gmail address, the link came immediately.

0 Kudos
Donn

Jump to solution

i have not received am email activation. Could you let me know what to do?

0 Kudos
Benaya
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I've tried repeatedly in getting activation email with no success.  Even returned the device and got another model, and still no success.  Wanted to stick with Roku (have a very old device that need to upgrade), but can't spend any more time with this.  Do I really have to get a Firestick or some other company model?  There's obviously a problem at your end given all the problems with activation---so, why are you not addressing it instead of having customers spend countless hours troubleshooting??

0 Kudos

Re: Unable to receive activation code

Jump to solution

HI,

This is happening to us as well. I've checked my Roku account, email filters/spam and reset. Any advice? 

Thank you,

0 Kudos
Benaya
Reel Rookie

Re: Unable to receive activation code

Jump to solution

I tried everything with no success.  Also tried PM to the Roku moderator, but that, too, didn't seem to work.  Did a "chat" with Roku last week when problem first began and they couldn't help either.

Amazes me that this issue is not being addressed!!  I guess I'll have to deal with another streaming stick brand.  

0 Kudos
Tex1959

Activation email

Jump to solution

Trying to activate a 2nd device on my original account but i never receive the email with the activation code.  Its not in junk or spam.   Have tried multiple times.   I do not have another email to try, i want it to be on the same account as my other device. 

0 Kudos
NewsView
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I was in the same predicament — almost three weeks with no activation email. Scroll up and try the solution I posted using a cell phone as a hot spot.

0 Kudos
Maindiee

Continuing to return to the activation screen

Jump to solution

I hooked up the Roku express and linked it to my Roku account (I removed it and started over twice to see if that made a difference). I can see it is there and even activated guest mode (which popped up on the TV) however I am unable to ever get past the activation screen and it continues to ask me to enter my email for activation. I am getting frustrated because I don’t know why else to try. Any advice? 

0 Kudos