Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ronniemckinney
Reel Rookie

Re: Get a link code on a Roku TV i already have been using

Jump to solution

Your support team is terrible. I waited four days for them to finally follow up and all they did was send me a copy and paste of things already in this thread like waiting longer and checking your spam folder. Their final suggestion was to use another email address. Why would I want to have multiple accounts with the same company?  I already have three Roku sticks on one account. I don’t want to keep up with another one on a totally different account that I’ll never remember. What’s the point of sending the serial number if all we are going to get is a canned, copy and paste response that doesn’t actually fix anything?  

0 Kudos
NewsView
Streaming Star

Re: cannot activate

Jump to solution

I think it would be useful for people who are having this problem indicate who their ISP (Internet Service Provider) is to see if there is any rhyme or reason to who is experiencing these activation problems. (For example, I am wondering if this could have anything to do with the dispute between Spectrum and ROKU?) Similarly, it might also be useful to indicate if the now-show emails are related to hotmail, gmail or other provider. If there's a pattern who isn't getting these activation emails, it will become apparent in this discussion forum if those additional data points are indicated in the posts. (But don't post your full email or ROKU device ID.)

0 Kudos
Cindy3
Reel Rookie

Re: ROKU sends activation link that is blank. Setup fails

Jump to solution

I continue to not be able to set up the Roku.  Tonight I did a factory re-set and tried going through the steps again.  No luck.  [personal information removed] Device ID K42076601301. SKU 3920R. Lot 2189046615.  

As I said before, I get to the screen and enter the email and then nothing happens.  

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.  

Cindy

0 Kudos
NewsView
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

There's been a new wrinkle in the problem recently. Some people report they do get the email but the link opens to an error (or blank) page and the ROKU doesn't activate (up until recently, the main issue reported here was that no activation email would show up in the first place). A page or so back, someone reported that on a support chat they were told the Amazon server for ROKU activations is down. (Speculation here but… Perhaps Amazon is being anti-competitive with ROKU because those of us who can't activate are more likely to return these and replace them with Amazon Fire Sticks? Alternately, perhaps when Amazon shut down their cloud server for the social media network Parler, it also knocked ROKU offline?) In any event, I DO think it is time for ROKU to officially issue a statement if they know what is behind this. The moderator can't just keep on telling people to send him a PM. There's nothing he can do but forward it to customer service, which is apparently backed up with similar requests.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@NewsView 

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried access the email through another browser as well as using another device to access the email link?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
jjordanwi
Reel Rookie

Email Activation

Jump to solution

I just purchased a Roku Express and during the setup process, it asks for my email address, however the email confirmation isn't being sent (have checked spam, etc.).  The email confirmation process has timed out twice now.  Thoughts?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Email Activation

Jump to solution

@jjordanwi 

Thanks for the post.

Please send me a PM (private message) with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number/device ID on the Roku device along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jjordanwi
Reel Rookie

Re: Email Activation

Jump to solution

PM sent.  While I appreciate your offer to assist, this should be a very basic and straight forward process.  Having to wait hours (and possibly longer) to activate and use a device is inexcusable....especially given that it sounds like a chronic problem.  The clock is ticking....

0 Kudos
NewsView
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

reply to @RokuDanny-R 

Yes, I have tried using another device (an Outlook app) instead of my computer browser to check for the email. There was no email until I essentially tricked the Ultra LT into activating by linking it to a hot spot on my cell phone, getting to the point where the ROKU sends an email, then turning off the hot spot after which there was an error on the TV asking if I would like to activate in an alternate means. I don't know why that worked but it did. At issue is that I have a secondary problem where I don't have any audio output to the attached ROKU when I start up my TVs (both of them are Sony). I have to turn the TV on and off multiple times before the audio output from the ROKU (over optical) kicks in. So the related question is, if a factory-reset of a ROKU already linked to an account occurs, does it wipe it off the account in such a way that I will need to rely on an activation link email to get them back up and running again? (Basically as long as these activation emails are no-shows I don't want to risk factory-resetting my ROKUs and then having multiple ROKUs I can't re-link/activate on my account.)
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@NewsView 

Thanks for the update.

To answer you question: yes, whenever you perform a factory reset, the device wipes the Roku account information on the device, and it will need to be setup again, including activating the device.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator