Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GPrestonian
Binge Watcher

Newly announced Roku® Streaming Stick® 4K, says only that it has ‘power adapter’

Jump to solution

Hi, I am looking  closely at the new Roku® Streaming Stick® 4K, but I noticed that the specifications say only that it comes with a ‘power adapter’

I wanted to make sure before I order that means a device-to-USB port dongle to supply power like my current Roku Streaming Stick+ has, and not an old-style device-to-wall outlet like my old Firestick had
~~~~~

I travel frequently, and used to drag my old Roku 3 box along to plug in at hotels, incl a 6’ HDMI cable ‘just in case’. Hoping and praying that there would be a wall outlet close enough for power

My ~3yo Streaming Stick+ solved that issue entirely with the USB power dongle, lack of it on the new Roku® Streaming Stick® 4K would be a deal-breaker for me

So, USB power or not?

~Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Newly announced Roku® Streaming Stick® 4K, says only that it has ‘power adapter’

Jump to solution

Comes with USB power adapter.  Check out the pictures of what's included:

https://www.roku.com/products/roku-streaming-stick-4k

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
renojim

Re: Newly announced Roku® Streaming Stick® 4K, says only that it has ‘power adapter’

Jump to solution

Comes with USB power adapter.  Check out the pictures of what's included:

https://www.roku.com/products/roku-streaming-stick-4k

Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Edmund

makaiguy

Jump to solution

@GPrestonian-

If you are relying on powering the Roku via the USB port on TVs, you should still take the USB power adapter along with you.

The USB ports on many televisions only supply 0.5 amp or less, which is not enough to power a Roku reliably, although many do provide the 1 amp current needed.   Even if a Roku connected this way appears to start up normally, if it runs into an activity that requires more power than the USB port can deliver, something will fail, commonly taking you back to the home screen.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
GPrestonian
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thank you!  I found several pages that did not mention, the USB power connection, missed the link you posted!

0 Kudos
GPrestonian
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Interesting, makaiguy, thank you!

I have had more back to the Home Screen detours lately, which I ascribed to age of Stick+, glitches in stream apps (which are legion), and the fact that I had 57 apps installed (sine culled to 33)

First I have heard of USB voltage issues, and the mention of a ‘power adapter’ which I took to mean plug into a wall outlet surprised me since my 3810 did not come with one.

I shall toss it into the 1/2 gal Ziplock I keep in my carryon for all things streaming!

Ty!

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@GPrestonian wrote:

First I have heard of USB voltage issues, and the mention of a ‘power adapter’ which I took to mean plug into a wall outlet surprised me since my 3810 did not come with one.

Where are you located?  My 3810, purchased in the US, came with a USB power adapter, but someone in a recent thread reported that ones purchased in UK did not, which sounds like a strange decision on Roku's part if true.  I don't know how you'd find out whether this is true for the new model other than by purchasing one.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos