Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Newbie Question: Can Any Roku App Play Media Files On Another Device On The Local Area Network?

Hello!

I just bought an old Roku Ultra 4660.

I apologize if I am posting this newbie question within the wrong forum.

My Roku is connected to my home's Local Area Network. I have some video files stored within shared folders on my computer, which is also connected to the LAN.

Does my Roku have the functionality to be able to play those files?

I was able to easily do this on my old Amazon Fire TV Stick using the VLC Media Player app. Within the app I could just navigate within the network to find the shared folders. I tried to use Roku Media Player, but couldn't find similar functionality.

Can I do something similar on my Roku? If so, please tell me how.

Many thanks,
Allen

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Newbie Question: Can Any Roku App Play Media Files On Another Device On The Local Area Network?

I sort of answered my own question. Apparently for the Roku Media Player, unlike VLC Media Player, I have to activate "media streaming" on my Windows 10 computer and then open Windows Media Player and put the relevant folders within the "library."

So I have achieved functionality. Yay!

I still want to explore if there are better media player apps for the Roku because when Roku Media Player fast forwards or rewinds it does not show sped up images on the screen...one must just guess when to hit play again...

Thanks,
Allen

0 Kudos