Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vesseyh
Level 7

New roku setup won’t go past software update

Have two new roku devices I just ordered. When setting up after connecting to the internet it says a software update. Every time after it goes straight back to the opening page and so on and so on. The internet says it’s connected and have restarted it about a million times now. Our internet works on all our devices and smart TVs that are even further away from the router in the house. How can I get past the first two steps and finally actually use the devices. 

15 REPLIES 15\
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: New roku setup won’t go past software update

You don't say what model number Roku you have, but if it's one that uses a USB power adapter make sure you're using the supplied adapter and not your TV's USB port.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
leslie_glenda
Level 7

I'm having the same issue with a Roku Premiere, I saw a reply posted saying to use the supplied power pack. That's what I'm doing but still having the issue.

0 Kudos
Vesseyh
Level 7

Hi I have a roku express. I have tried the USB hooked up to the TVs and  to a power block but no luck. I’ve also seen other posts on this so I also reset the button on the back and still nothing. Also note that I’ve been trying this with two Rokus and both aren’t working. 

0 Kudos
renojim

If two aren't working it could be a network problem.  Have you rebooted your modem/router?

0 Kudos
Kelljo248
Level 7

I’m having the same problem. I can’t get past the update, I have tried different power blocks, the roku block, and different ones I have. How do I fix it. This has happened to 3 of my rokus I have bought in the past 3 months. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

Try using an alternate internet connection (e.g. phone Hotspot, neighbors WiFi) for the initial setup/update, then switching to your regular internet connection after that

0 Kudos
Stephan91
Level 7

I am having the same issue..I have 2 other Roku working fine and a firestick that works...is there a limit to the number of Roku you have? I get to the software update but nothing happens it says error code 005..it is not my router everything else is working fine..I have the Roku Premier
0 Kudos
renojim

The limit is apparently 20.  As @StreamerUser wrote right above your post, try using your phone's hotspot if possible just to get through the initial setup.  You can also try this:
https://community.roku.com/t5/Getting-Started-Setup-How-to/Roku-Express-Error-quot-Code-005-quot-Ini...

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

We would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: What should I do if my Roku® device is unable to update software?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos