Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vesseyh
Level 7

New roku setup won’t go past software update

Have two new roku devices I just ordered. When setting up after connecting to the internet it says a software update. Every time after it goes straight back to the opening page and so on and so on. The internet says it’s connected and have restarted it about a million times now. Our internet works on all our devices and smart TVs that are even further away from the router in the house. How can I get past the first two steps and finally actually use the devices. 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
renojim
Level 21

Re: New roku setup won’t go past software update

You don't say what model number Roku you have, but if it's one that uses a USB power adapter make sure you're using the supplied adapter and not your TV's USB port.

0 Kudos
leslie_glenda
Level 7

I'm having the same issue with a Roku Premiere, I saw a reply posted saying to use the supplied power pack. That's what I'm doing but still having the issue.

0 Kudos
Vesseyh
Level 7

Hi I have a roku express. I have tried the USB hooked up to the TVs and  to a power block but no luck. I’ve also seen other posts on this so I also reset the button on the back and still nothing. Also note that I’ve been trying this with two Rokus and both aren’t working. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

If two aren't working it could be a network problem.  Have you rebooted your modem/router?

0 Kudos
Kelljo248
Level 7

I’m having the same problem. I can’t get past the update, I have tried different power blocks, the roku block, and different ones I have. How do I fix it. This has happened to 3 of my rokus I have bought in the past 3 months. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 15

Try using an alternate internet connection (e.g. phone Hotspot, neighbors WiFi) for the initial setup/update, then switching to your regular internet connection after that

0 Kudos
Stephan91
Level 7

I am having the same issue..I have 2 other Roku working fine and a firestick that works...is there a limit to the number of Roku you have? I get to the software update but nothing happens it says error code 005..it is not my router everything else is working fine..I have the Roku Premier
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

The limit is apparently 20.  As @StreamerUser wrote right above your post, try using your phone's hotspot if possible just to get through the initial setup.  You can also try this:
https://community.roku.com/t5/Getting-Started-Setup-How-to/Roku-Express-Error-quot-Code-005-quot-Ini...

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

We would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: What should I do if my Roku® device is unable to update software?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos