Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

New Roku express giving blank screen after system update

I've been having all sorts of issues with Roku products at work lately.  We have a TV that we used an old Roku streaming stick on, model 3500x, but took the tv out of use several months ago.  Recently we went to put it back into use and all we could get from the Roku was the bouncing Roku letters and music.  I dug out an old spare streaming stick (same model) and tried that one too with the same result.  I tried doing a hard reset of both, but they would get stuck on different steps of the setup.  One would go to connect to the wifi and would get the green checkmarks but that screen would stay up, with no response if I tried to hit cancel or anything.  The other would get through connecting to the internet, download the system update, reset, but then would come up with the screen to hit ok to detect display settings and would become unresponsive on that.  I figured the sticks have to be pretty ancient by now, they're probably just dead, so we ordered a new Roku express.  Went to set it up, and it connected to the internet and downloaded the system update, restarted, came up with the bouncing Roku letters for a few seconds, and then the screen just went blank.  I can still get the sounds from pushing buttons, but no visual whatsoever.  I've tried doing a hard reset about 4 times now, and every time I'll get the bouncing roku letters for some of the time while holding the reset button, but by the time I get to 30 seconds that's disappeared again and we're back to the blank screen.  I can't try to connect it to a different network due to the lack of a screen even after a hard reset, I can't try to reset the wireless router due to it being a university wireless network that feeds the entire hospital, and yes, I am using the power adapter provided with the Roku and not plugged into the tv's non-existent USB port. 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: New Roku express giving blank screen after system update

@HMSpea2 

Thanks for the inquiry.

When trying to perform a factory reset, make sure you are holding down the reset button for 30 seconds regardless of what is happening on your screen.

What kind of network are you trying attempting connect to? Is this network public? This could potentially be the reason why you are experiencing issue?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

@RokuDanny-RI was holding the reset button for at least 30 seconds every time.  The Roku connected to the network fine and downloaded the update off of it.  It is a public network, but there's been no issues with the network itself, and we have a Roku tv in the next room that runs off of that same network with no issues at all.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@HMSpea2 

Thanks for the note.

When connecting to a public network, it's typically through the Hotel & Dorm Connect feature available on the Roku device. The use of the Hotel & Dorm Connect feature requires the device is be setup and activated already. This could possible explain why the Roku TV in the next room works without an issue.

We would recommend trying to setup and activate the device using an alternate network such as a mobile hotspot. Once your device is activated and updated, then try connecting to your public network.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

@RokuDanny-R   Currently it can't be set up and activated on any network, since it just gives a blank screen, even when it's hard reset.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@HMSpea2 

Thanks for the update.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

This is the 3rd Roku Express+, the first died after 2 years.  The failed device would not ever maintain a connection.

Number 2 is still working, but I wonder for how long.(??).  Perhaps, Roku would consider -Not- manufacturing the items in China, where there is 'no rule of law', no 'standards', and little (piss-poor) quality control.

Again, I bought another Express+, the 3rd.  Ran thru activation steps.  Never got an activation code, . . just a blank screen.  Went online.  Great website (. . not), . . it tells you nothing, and I mean nothing.  If you 'clowns' are going to put '**bleep**' electronics out into the market place, . . maybe you should consider high-light 'trouble-shooting' an bit more prominently. I am sure millions need it.

So, did the factory re-set, twice, ran thru activation steps, twice.  At the point that the 'code' is supposed to appear on the screen . . a blank screen is all that results.

T.Petrick (disgruntled customer)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@IhateRuko 

Thanks for the note.

How far do you get through the activation steps before reaching a blank screen? Were you updating the software? What color is this blank screen that you see?

Please provide us with more information and we will continue to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

i get system update then it restarts and goes right back to wanting me to chose English. It is loop and I can't get past this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@mskelton69 

Thanks for the inquiry.

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device.

I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you can get past the update to setup your device. Then once your device has been setup, try switching back to your home wireless network.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny 

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos