Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaleRaymond
Level 7

New Roku Ultra HD 4800X-Series fails to launch

Jump to solution

4-year old Roku Premier+ failed to launch, unresponsive system, so decided to upgrade to a Roku Ultra HD.

Brand new Roku Ultra HD, Model # 4800X failed to launch. Black screen following an apparent pairing with its remote. White Power-On light illuminates, and pulses as commands are entered from the remote. Have audio "bleep-boop" on command entry, but no indication of any on-screen or display activity.

However, no activation screen, no info entry capability, and no network awareness or display activity of any kind.

Network is good, internet is good (30mbps). Very frustrated with new out-of-box issues coupled with lack of troubleshooting guidance. No apparent re-set button or key-hole.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DaleRaymond
Level 7

Re: New Roku Ultra HD 4800X-Series fails to launch

Jump to solution

RenoJim-

Swapped and switched HDMI cabling with visual inspection of both ends, . . . No issues-

Fired up second Samsung 32" running an older Roku Express, No issues. Swapped out for original Roku #4630 Premier, and relocated Samsung 32" to office along with spare CAT-5 cabling and power strip, . . . Reassembled the new configuration in an attempt to isolate any faulty components, . . . All good! Everything works! So have narrowed it down to maybe a faulty HDMI port board on the Sony Bravia, . . . Sheesh! Just what I didn't need. Boiled down to a choice between repair or replace. Either one neither convenient or readily affordable.

Then Wife (who I was suspecting of having cast an evil spell on said Sony) suggested that I check out any YouTube video for possible fix? Well, why not? Spent another 30-minutes or so diving into failures, work-arounds and fixes until I got into thread on Factory Hardware Reset (???) Probably wouldn't hurt to try.

Power down, disconnect, and un-plug. Wait 20-30 seconds for all of the caps to discharge, then holding down the Bravia power button at the rear/side panel of the TV below the HDMI panel, and simultaneously hit the remote Power button once. Continue to depress both the hard power button, as well as the sound-down control button until the "On" Sony lights up, then hands off the buttons, and let the flat-screen restart under factory-reset mode. Only takes about 30-seconds, . . . (wait for it, . . .)

Brand New Roku 4800-Series Initialization screen appears and we're off to the races! Wonderful! Haggle with the remote for new initialization coding and voila! It's working great!

(Wife claims she fixed it! ) (Sheesh!) So much for "smart tv".

Thanks! Not a pleasant experience, but I gained a bit of confidence and lost a bit of respect for the machine intelligence of any new smart product. They're still engineered for lowest cost solution, rather than a best experience of the user. And regardless of how much smarts theyre promoted as having, there is little interconnectivity intelligence or awareness. So simple to implement, but of little value to the manufacturer.

Even Roku does not indicate that they make a 4800-Series across their entire website !

Thanks to all-

-D

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
renojim
Level 21

Jump to solution

You have two devices that fail to display anything?  Have you tried another HDMI port, another cable, or another TV?

0 Kudos
DaleRaymond
Level 7

Jump to solution

RenoJim-

Swapped and switched HDMI cabling with visual inspection of both ends, . . . No issues-

Fired up second Samsung 32" running an older Roku Express, No issues. Swapped out for original Roku #4630 Premier, and relocated Samsung 32" to office along with spare CAT-5 cabling and power strip, . . . Reassembled the new configuration in an attempt to isolate any faulty components, . . . All good! Everything works! So have narrowed it down to maybe a faulty HDMI port board on the Sony Bravia, . . . Sheesh! Just what I didn't need. Boiled down to a choice between repair or replace. Either one neither convenient or readily affordable.

Then Wife (who I was suspecting of having cast an evil spell on said Sony) suggested that I check out any YouTube video for possible fix? Well, why not? Spent another 30-minutes or so diving into failures, work-arounds and fixes until I got into thread on Factory Hardware Reset (???) Probably wouldn't hurt to try.

Power down, disconnect, and un-plug. Wait 20-30 seconds for all of the caps to discharge, then holding down the Bravia power button at the rear/side panel of the TV below the HDMI panel, and simultaneously hit the remote Power button once. Continue to depress both the hard power button, as well as the sound-down control button until the "On" Sony lights up, then hands off the buttons, and let the flat-screen restart under factory-reset mode. Only takes about 30-seconds, . . . (wait for it, . . .)

Brand New Roku 4800-Series Initialization screen appears and we're off to the races! Wonderful! Haggle with the remote for new initialization coding and voila! It's working great!

(Wife claims she fixed it! ) (Sheesh!) So much for "smart tv".

Thanks! Not a pleasant experience, but I gained a bit of confidence and lost a bit of respect for the machine intelligence of any new smart product. They're still engineered for lowest cost solution, rather than a best experience of the user. And regardless of how much smarts theyre promoted as having, there is little interconnectivity intelligence or awareness. So simple to implement, but of little value to the manufacturer.

Even Roku does not indicate that they make a 4800-Series across their entire website !

Thanks to all-

-D

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

Jump to solution

Bravia!  Uh... I mean Bravo!  :-)

0 Kudos