Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

New Roku SE will not update

I just removed this SE from the factory sealed box even though purchased at least four years ago. First screen I get is the select Language, which I click English. Then, connect to network. I entered my wifi password and it connected. Then it said I would need to download updates. After I clicked continue, it downloaded and restarted back to the exact same menu. However, going through successive times I did not need to enter the password; it was saved (but covered). But it just keeps looping - it downloads the update but restarts to the same language select screen. It takes the same amount of time each time and does the exact same percentages. I have done it over ten times.

How do I get it to accept the update? Do I need to start it, connect, but not continue to download the update and telnet or SSH into it? I have done a very limited amount of that with Raspberry Pi.

My serial number is 1XK59H147907.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Setting up Roku express

My roku express upadates the software asks me to select a language, asks me to connect to a wifi network and repeats the process over and over again. I need help going to the next step of selecting the audio video. Help ! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: New Roku SE will not update

@josephgrab @agupta17 

If you can, try using your phone's hotspot to get through the initial setup.  You might also want to try a factory reset.  Find the pinhole on the bottom and use a paperclip to press and hold the reset button for at least 30 seconds ignoring anything appearing onscreen.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: There is no support

I agree. This is bull**bleep**. I’ve got 4 Rokus and the 4th won’t set up at all. Just continues to reset after the update. I’ve gone through the update 4 times now and it just continues to go back through the set up. And of course there’s no one to call. Absolutely bull**bleep**!!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Someone suggested I hold in the reset button on the bottom for 30 seconds. It was brand new, so this did not make one bit of difference except I had to re-enter my wifi password. Otherwise, behavior was just as described above. Still goes back to language menu after restarting twice (like the first time it does not finish loading so it reverts to the factory software or firmware).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I do not have a hotspot with my phone, or at least, I have never done that for any reason before. I do not think it is because I am not getting the download as it counts to 100% the same way each time. It just checked the connection before downloading, and if it does not have one, it will warn me and tell me to check my wifi settings.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: There is no support

@Jcalderwood28 

Thanks for the post.

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device.

I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you can update and setup your device. Then once your device has been setup, try switching back to your home wireless network.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Reboot

I re-configured my router to an alternate DNS (not openDNS, which filters some), turned off my raspberry pi pihole adblocker, disabled Disney Circle, rebooted my modem and my router, all to get the same results (although a little bit faster twice). I do not believe it is a network issue. Is there a way I can SSH or telnet into the other of my identical Roku SEs to pull the firmware / software and then SSH or telnet into this one to load it? I bought 2 at the same time directly from Roku, just have never used this one. The other is working just fine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Reboot

@josephgrab wrote:

Is there a way I can SSH or telnet into the other of my identical Roku SEs to pull the firmware / software and then SSH or telnet into this one to load it?

Sorry, that's not possible.  The only theory I have is that while the download appears to complete, it's somehow getting corrupted which isn't detected until it reboots.  Hence the suggestion to try a different network.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Any hope?

So, I tried numerous times, and even tried with a hotspot. All still same - just double boots back to language menu. Is there anything else that can be done?

0 Kudos