Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
watching33
Level 7

Re: New Roku SE will not update

I have a brand new player in box that was not used before. Wifi signal is excellent with all bars strength so it is not WIfi issue. It seems Roku decided to disable older still working Roku players and does not allow to complete software update cycle. That would be similar how Apple "slowed down" older phones hoping users would buy new. Or it may be Roku design flaw that both older and newer Roku models are getting the same software from the same server and somehow Roku by mistake changed something that stopped software updates for ALL older models?

if it is mistake it would be fixed...so it looks as unfair disabling of older players.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@watching33 

Thanks for the post.

Did you follow the troubleshooting steps I provided in my previous post?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
watching33
Level 7

Same as before, stuck in infinite update cycles.Brand new Roku player in box that was not used before. Wifi signal is excellent with all bars strength so it is not WIfi issue. Roku players stuck in infinite software update cycles.

0 Kudos
watching33
Level 7

Why new Roku would not activate? Software update gets done and after restart activation link is not provided. This is Roku issue of not allowing working (even brand new from box) older players to be activated. Unfair! 

0 Kudos
Karmagedon
Level 10

what do you mean by "Software update gets done and after restart activation link is not provided."?  what do you see after restart?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@watching33 

Thanks for the update.

Have you tried to connect your device to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you can update and setup your device? Then once your device has been setup, try switching back to your home wireless network.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
watching33
Level 7

Roku is new in box, but older model that was never activated. WIFI strength is great and all devices work well with WIFI except Roku that is stuck in infinite "updating loop" ...

0 Kudos
jngo87
Level 7

Everyone that has NIB Roku seems to have this same issue and they are not doing anything to resolve this issue.

I'm thinking if the device doesn't have the previous firmware updates to the current one then we are SOL.

0 Kudos
watching33
Level 7

Is there a way to update Roku SE with PC computer rather than defective Roku WIFI update process stuck in infinite defective loop?

How to activate Roku Se manually without defective Wifi update?

How to check firmware version?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@watching33 

Thanks for the post.

There is no way to activate a Roku device through PC. We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device.

I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you can update you device and finish setting it up. Then once your device has been setup, try switching back to your home wireless network.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos