Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

New Roku Premiere won't give me an activation code

Hello thank you for the help, my new Roku Premiere, the second one in the household, will not give me a code to type in and just gives me a spinning wheel until asking me to retry, or factory reset or restart the Roku. Ive done all this many times including unplugging my unit, the router, as well as the other unit in the house just in case. I don't have service at my house or I would try a hotspot. I didn't see an error code anywhere either. Any Roku staff available to help?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: New Roku Premiere won't give me an activation code

@linkthefirst 

Thanks for the inquiry.

You can try performing a factory reset on your device. This will reset all settings and return your Roku device to a state ready for initial setup.

For more information on how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

If you are still unable to get an activation code, we recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device. Alternately, I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network or mobile hotspot.  If you are able to connect without issue, this usually indicates an issue with your network or password. In that case, you might also try changing your network password (avoid using any special characters from your wireless network password) to see if that resolves the connection issue. 

Keep us posted with what you find out. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

She said she did all that already. I have literally been at this for 4 hours. First it kept getting to the updates & restarting the process again. After resetting router & roku several times it finally got to part where I can get an activation code & it won't generate one no matter what I try. I have been texting support & they're asking me to do things I can't do without activating the roku! I have tried on a brand new tv & same issue. "There was a problem activating, please get a new code to try again"  only it never generates one in the 1st place. This is going back for a firestick.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Abalisa 

Thanks for the note.

I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network or mobile hotspot to see if you can get your device setup.

Keep us posted with what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I am having this same problem. Tried cinnecting to mobile hotspot instead of my home network and problem still persists. Asks you to get a new code and it never gave you one to begin with. There is NO error code just an exclimation point. Litterally pops up instantly and never even attemos to give you a code. NO OPTION OTHER THAN FACTORY REBOOT. I have done this multiple times as well.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Did you ever figure it out? I’m having the same exact issue. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Mommy3g 

Thanks for the note.

We would recommend trying to perform a factory reset on your device and connecting to an alternate wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to set up you device. Once the device has been set up, you can then switch back to your wireless network.

For more information about how to perform a factory reset on your device, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

CLEARLY "DANNY" IS NOT READING ANY OF THE ACTUAL POSTS!!! When the unit has this issue... IT WILL ONLY ALLOW YOU TO PERFORM A FACTORY RESET...AND... IT DOES NOT FIX THE PROBLEM DANNY!!  Let me guess.. next you want me to connect it to a different wifi network.... ONCE AGAIN DANNY, THIS DOES NOT FIX THE PROBLEM!!  CLEARLY SOME UNITS COME WITH A BUG THAT CANNOT BE FIXED THIS WAY!!  IF YOU HAVE THIS PROBLEM... PLEASE SAVE YOURSELF THE TROUBLE OF ALL OF THAT BS AND RETURN THE UNIT FOR A NEW ONE!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Fatherdoolz 

Thanks for the note.

If you are not able to resolve your issue, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number on the Roku device. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I am having this problem now. Obviously many people are having the same issue. It is extremely frustrating. I have tried all of the things recommended and it is just not working. Was this ever resolved for other people that have posted here? Thank you.

0 Kudos